Is Household Benefits Package on Retirement only for over 70's.

IsleOfMan

I turn 66 next year and I will qualify for a contributory state pension. I am in the process of completing an application form for this.

I notice that there is a section that deals with the Household Benefits Package. I have a few questions that someone who has been through this process before may be able to help me with.

Is the Electricity or Gas Allowance and Free Television Licence an automatic allowance or is it means tested? There seems to be a statement that this is for those aged 70 and over only?

Thanks

Household Benefits Package
The Household Benefits Package includes the Electricity or Natural Gas Allowance and a Free TV Licence (the Telephone Allowance was discontinued in 2014). If you are aged 70 or over, you qualify regardless of your income or who lives with you. The scheme may also be available to people aged 66 and over who get certain social welfare payments or whose income is below certain limits. Apply to the Department of Social Protection.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._people/income_supports_for_older_people.html

Thanks pudds and dereko1969.
I initially thought that it was only applicable to over 70's only. Now I realise that if you are in receipt of a Contributory State Pension (my situation) then I will qualify for a Gas allowance (most beneficial to me) and free TV licence and that these are not means tested.

Again I mistakenly thought that these were means tested if aged between 66 & 70.

Thanks pudds and dereko1969.
I initially thought that it was only applicable to over 70's only. Now I realise that if you are in receipt of a Contributory State Pension (my situation) then I will qualify for a Gas allowance (most beneficial to me) and free TV licence and that these are not means tested.

Again I mistakenly thought that these were means tested if aged between 66 & 70.

"Available to people under age 70 in certain circumstances".

If you are a single person you will qualify.
If you are married and your wife is a dependent (is a dependent on your pension) you will qualify.
If you are married and your wife has income of over €310.00 p/w you will not qualify until you are age 70

So, this Interests me I am under 70 & over 66, SINGLE, and in receipt of the House Hold Benefit package, along with the State Contributory Pension Payment. Since I live alone, I also get the Living alone PAYMENT. To obtain the H.H.B.the ESB/Airtricity/Bord Gais Utility Issuers of these bills MUST BE IN YOUR NAME.This will also include your Television Licence details etc. If The State pension is your only source of income, then it would be worth applying for the Winter Fuel allowance. This is Means Tested by the DSP, but worth checking out. There are of course other state incomes which entitle the payment of the H.H.B. Check out Citizens Information or Welfare.ie.

The following should be noted: You will receive a notification from DSP stating you entitlement for having a T.V. Licence in your Possession, if your application is successful.
The H.H.B. Can be Collected from your Local An Post post office on the 1st Tuesday of Each Month, Or Transferred to your Bank/Current or Savings/Deposit Account. These Benefits are not subject or liable to Tax. The State Pension is Liable to Tax along with the Living alone PAYMENT. If this is your only source of Income it will be under the Threshold for Tax, as currently set out on the Revenue Website.

One Last Point, if you Qualify for the H.H.B. You must also reside at the Address you have set out in your application. Of course short term absence,e.g.Holidays, Hospital etc. will not disqualify you from receiving the H.H.B. If you move into a Retirement Facility on a Permanent basis,you will not be entitled to receive the H.H.B. any more, Regardless of your age.

Hope This Helps.

So, this Interests me I am under 70 & over 66, SINGLE, and in receipt of the House Hold Benefit package, along with the State Contributory Pension Payment. Since I live alone, I also get the Living alone PAYMENT. To obtain the H.H.B.the ESB/Airtricity/Bord Gais Utility Issuers of these bills MUST BE IN YOUR NAME.This will also include your Television Licence details etc. If The State pension is your only source of income, then it would be worth applying for the Winter Fuel allowance. This is Means Tested by the DSP, but worth checking out. There are of course other state incomes which entitle the payment of the H.H.B. Check out Citizens Information or Welfare.ie.

The following should be noted: You will receive a notification from DSP stating you entitlement for having a T.V. Licence in your Possession, if your application is successful.
The H.H.B. Can be Collected from your Local An Post post office on the 1st Tuesday of Each Month, Or Transferred to your Bank/Current or Savings/Deposit Account. These Benefits are not subject or liable to Tax. The State Pension is Liable to Tax along with the Living alone PAYMENT. If this is your only source of Income it will be under the Threshold for Tax, as currently set out on the Revenue Website.

One Last Point, if you Qualify for the H.H.B. You must also reside at the Address you have set out in your application. Of course short term absence,e.g.Holidays, Hospital etc. will not disqualify you from receiving the H.H.B. If you move into a Retirement Facility on a Permanent basis,you will not be entitled to receive the H.H.B. any more, Regardless of your age.

Hope This Helps.

Great Post Trainspotter and i'm sure many will be helped by it.

Is the Household Benefits package allowance added to your weekly state pension or paid to the Utility Company?

If you are married and your wife is a dependent (is a dependent on your pension) you will qualify.
If you are married and your wife has income of over €310.00 p/w you will not qualify until you are age 70

Just curious to know if the below is also true?

a. If you are married and your husband is a dependent (is a dependent on your pension) you will qualify.
b. If you are married and your husband has income of over €310.00 p/w you will not qualify until you are age 70

So anyone over 70 qualifies regardless of whatever private pensions, properties, savings etc they have? How long will the country be able to afford this especially as so much talk about aging population.

So anyone over 70 qualifies regardless of whatever private pensions, properties, savings etc they have? How long will the country be able to afford this especially as so much talk about aging population.

Yes.

My parents pay less than 10% direct tax on 49k income, and get:

two med cards
two travel passes
free TV licence
35pm off their elec bill

We live in a very generous country.

Yes.

My parents pay less than 10% direct tax on 49k income, and get:

two med cards
two travel passes
free TV licence
35pm off their elec bill

We live in a very generous country.
I think you will find out they were paying away more tax when they were your age.

In other words they paid more when they were your age,
That is why we have a great Country now,

Last edited:
Back