Home Is buildings cover only enough?

toby2111

House insurance due for renewal soon and I got a quote online from Aviva for buildings only cover that was way cheaper than building and contents.My house is in a pretty safe area and my contents only total about €2500(beds,couches,tv,electrical goods).So,is buildings only cover sufficient?God forbid my house fell/burnt down,I presume my insurance will cover the re-build.

If you dont want your contents to be insured then yes its fine. The key to your last question is in what you asked! Re build is cover by the buildings.

I would never be without contents insurance. You really need to consider water damage anywhere in the house. A friend of mine had dreadful water damage from old gun-barrel piping in central heating system. Central heating was not insured under contents but all repairs, floor covering damaged furniture etc. was. Also small fire in a relatives kitchen was covered by contents insurance. She had to have a new kitchen installed and there was bad smoke damage to her dining room.

House insurance due for renewal soon and I got a quote online from Aviva for buildings only cover that was way cheaper than building and contents.My house is in a pretty safe area and my contents only total about €2500(beds,couches,tv,electrical goods).So,is buildings only cover sufficient?God forbid my house fell/burnt down,I presume my insurance will cover the re-build.

If you were to add up the cost of replacing every item in your home it would come to a lot more that a few thousand. Floor coverings, kitchen units, kitchen appliances, wardrobes, curtains, bed linen, clothes, shoes, kitchen ware and utinsels, the list is endless. Have a look around each room and do the calculations yourself, you will be pleasently surprised at how much it will come to.

It depends on how much it would cost you if stuff was damaged or destroyed.

Most people can't afford to rebuild their home, so they need insurance.

Most people could replace their contents over time, so they don't need insurance.

Let's assume a malicious burglar who took everything covered by contents - carpets, paintings, tvs, clothes etc? You wouldn't like it, but you would gradually replace it. There would be no filling in forms, no claims record, no negotiating with insurance companies.

A lot of people probably replace their contents over a 5 year cycle anyway, so you would just be doing it a bit faster.

so it's a matter of choice. Most people don't need it, but have it anyway.

A much bigger problem is the number of people who don't even have buildings insurance.

Brendan

An important point to remember is that your and your family's personal liability (e.g. visitor tripping on frayed carpet or dog biting neighbour etc. etc.) including liability to casual employess doing small jobs around the house i.e.gardening etc. is normally only covered under the contents section of a home insurance policy.

Back