Is BT best value broadband at €45/month

Privinv

Hi
Is BT best value broadband at €45/month for phone, internet etc, are there better packages available.

What about [broken link removed] at €35 p.m. for line rental and broadband. Call charges extra (other than to other Smart users I think). Obviously who is "best" depends on your phone call usage profile. Note that BT's €45 p.m. package is only 1Mbps.

BT/Smart and Imagine are now all at the same price...1 Mb broadband(Smart are 3Mb) always on,local and national calls to land lines unlimted plus line rental for 45 Euro Per Month...Imagine have a sign up fee but not sure if that applies to a new customer.....have thought myself about going wireless but would need to be sure that it's reliable in my area.....

BT/Smart and Imagine are now all at the same price...1 Mb broadband(Smart are 3Mb) always on,local and national calls to land lines unlimted plus line rental for 45 Euro Per Month...Imagine have a sign up fee but not sure if that applies to a new customer.....have thought myself about going wireless but would need to be sure that it's reliable in my area.....

No, Smart are still €35 per month. You're thinking of their package where you get broadband, line rental, and calls for an all in package of €45 p/m.

How much do you spend each month on national and UK calls? If it's over €10, then this is probably the best BT offer for you. If it's under €10, then consider their €35 offer which covers broadband and line rental. You also need to consider the braodband speed you want/need. The BT €45 offer is for 1MB broadband, the €35 offer is for 2MB.

Seagull said:
If it's over €10, then this is probably the best BT offer for you. If it's under €10, then consider their €35 offer which covers broadband and line rental.
While considering if your bill is over or under €10 per month worth considering something like [broken link removed]. Gives national calls for 5cent connection fee (tarriff is 0cent p/m) and international calls FAR cheaper than most other suppliers (even cheaper than SkypeOut for any I've checked - USA for 0.5cent p/m [thats 35cent for an hour long phone call to the states]).

(No connection with the company other than being a very happy customer)

Seagull said:
You also need to consider the braodband speed you want/need. The BT €45 offer is for 1MB broadband, the €35 offer is for 2MB.
Give a lot of thought to what you require from your BB. If it's simple light usage then you should be fine with 1mb. If it's for heavier demanding tasks ensure you go for a higher spec to suit your needs.

BT could be the best value ever but I wouldn't touch them. Refer to other threads here and on boards.ie for problems consumers have had with billing.

Other than billing though they are a very good service! It rarely goes down and the download rates are as good as they are supposed to be. My advice is to retain control of billing yourself, (i.e. pay by CC) and don't pay them if they overcharge. The actual service itself is very good!

The other thing about Smart apart from the fact that it is 3MB broadband is that the contention ratio is 1:1. There is no-one else in the country offering this at that price. I rang them yesterday to make sure that this was right as I didn't really believe it but it's true. Signed up straight away.

The other thing about Smart apart from the fact that it is 3MB broadband is that the contention ratio is 1:1. There is no-one else in the country offering this at that price. I rang them yesterday to make sure that this was right as I didn't really believe it but it's true. Signed up straight away.

Can Smart port your number now ?

or do you have to give up your existing number for a new one ?

As far as I know (having checked in the last couple of weeks) they still give you a new number and you still have the hassle of having to transfer to eircom first and then to Smart if you are with another provider. As far as I know these issues are not Smart's fault. Not sure what, if anything, ComReg are doing about this crazy anti-competitive situation. The hassle involved is the main thing stopping me from switching from UTV to Smart right now.

Can Smart port your number now ?

or do you have to give up your existing number for a new one ?

You have to get a new number and the changeover can take up to six weeks - it appears that eircom are not too quick about changing over for some reason...:rolleyes:

Ask Comreg straight out ([email protected]) how long it will take to move to Smart FROM Eircom with your old number , they should be able to answer you. If its a minute longer than that hassle Comreg .

I bet Comreg will simply BS you . They are the most useless so called 'regulator' I have ever seen, utterly afraid to 'regulate'

If your transition to BT goes well, you're usually in the clear. All has been going perfectly smoothly for us since joining about 2 years ago. Phone + BB. Teething problems getting switched over from Eircom though.

I signed up to BT Broadband and phone line for €40.00 per month. They have put the line live from 21st August, but have never sent me out my wireless router.

I phoned up about it to be told that the warehouse was going to post them all out in a batch, somtime soon - Did you even hear the like.

so will you get a rebate or will they charge you in full from the 21st ??

Other than billing though they are a very good service! It rarely goes down and the download rates are as good as they are supposed to be. My advice is to retain control of billing yourself, (i.e. pay by CC) and don't pay them if they overcharge. The actual service itself is very good!

What do you mean when you say to retain control of the billing yourself by paying by credit card? Don't you still have to set up a Direct Debit to get any of BTs broadband packages?

Looked at the BT site and couldn't find how much calls to mobiles are for their pnone internet package. Anyone else better at finding it? As most calls are to mobiles and not to other landlines this is an important bit of information to determine if it is a good package.

Back