Is an on-line hotel booking valid

BillPoster

I made an on-line booking for a 2 night stay in a hotel via their own website. Everything transacted OK and I got confirmation at the end of the transaction that the booking had been confirmed. I also received an email confirmation of the booking a short time later. Later that day I had an email from the hotel reservations person saying that the hotel was fully booked for those dates and that the confusion was due to an error on their website. They did offer me other dates but these don't suit. While booking on-line my credit card details were enetered for a booking deposit to be taken but I don't know yet if this has been debited to my accopunt.
What can I do here? Can I tell the hotel that I have evidence of a confirmed booking and therfore expect to get a room? Have I any grounds to make the hotel honour the confrimed booking.I haven't spoken to them yet by phone as I'd like to know how to play this before I do.

Thx

You could also check with your CC company to see if money was taken off your card or check your a/c online if you have that setup with them.

No specific T&Cs are stated on the Hotel's website and other than a single comment -'subject to availability'. The confirmation that was sent to me has T&Cs, one refers to the 'rates being subject to availability and alteration' but none refer to the actual booking being subject availability or to any other confirmation e.g. from the hotel.
The confirmation sent also states 'Your booking has been confirmed!' and also that ' your reservation is fully confirmed and your deposit has been charged to your credit card'. There are some transactions being processed on my debit card but bank is unable to tell me specifics on these for another 24 hrs.

Hi I work in a hotel and they have to honour the booking or upgrade you to another hotel closeby if it suits you and they have to pay the exrtra if its a more expensive hotel.
they probably didnt block off the dates they were full on their website so this is their problem.

2kids

Thanks '2kids' nice to have some insider info. The booking deposit has now been debited from my account so hopefully they will honour the booking.

Thx

It is the same as an ordinary contract. If money deducted you definately have to get the room unless statement in contract says otherwise.

How far are yopu prepared to go with this? You have a confirmation email stating room booked ok, you have proof of a deposit being debited and you have a mail from the hotel (in advance of stay) stating the room is not available due to overbooking.

Fair enough go ahead and push for your room or an upgrade but don't just arrive on the day and expect magic.

As for the legal side I'm not too sure where you stand.

BTW, did anyone hear Morning Ireland this morning - I think it was the business news, a company in Limerick had devised a system whereby hotels can now update their room availability and prices in real time. This system would have prevented the problem the OP now has.

Back