Is air no longer free in garages

elcato

I went by the Mespil garage on the canal today to get air for my bike tyres. It actually has a slot now and charges 1 euro to use it. Is this what we have come to now ? Needless to say I will not be back for petrol, car wash or shopping.

I think that euro is just a deposit! when you are finished with the air and replace the handle the euro will pop out - much like shopping trollies in the supermarket, I've seen that in a couple of places.

I am not sure should air be free in a garage anymore? They have to supply the compressor, pay the electric to run it, maintain it and then probably repair it after some one vandalise it.

I can understand why garages charge for it now.

I am not sure should air be free in a garage anymore?
If the person in question spends a few bob on services I think it should be free whatever about anything else. Air in a garage is like toilets in a restaurant, all part of package - however we are digressing.

Warning to future posters: please don't start mentioning the obvious and start the ranters.

My local applegreen in Crumlin used to charge,so I stopped buying fuel there (say €90 a week).They now give out the air for free,so I use them again.

My local applegreen in Crumlin used to charge,so I stopped buying fuel there (say €90 a week).They now give out the air for free,so I use them again.
Did they do this as a direct consequence of losing business i.e. were they told by you and others that you were no longer going there because of it ? Or did they just realise it themselves ?

I didn't say it to them,but the equally priced Maxol just around the corner has always had free air,so I guess someone said something to the manager.However,the garage you mentioned has no nearby competition,so they might not care!

I went by the Mespil garage on the canal today to get air for my bike tyres. It actually has a slot now and charges 1 euro to use it. Is this what we have come to now ? Needless to say I will not be back for petrol, car wash or shopping.
That's inflation for you!

It's there to stop people destroying the air machine.
There is 2 garages near me. One provides free air, the machine is constantly on the blink, doesn't display the correct psi and it is just threw thee in the middle of the forecourt with cars parked over it etc

The other is a digital machine. You select psi/bar and the figure you want in your tyre, then just connect it to your valve. It will auto inflate/deflate your tyres correctly. It always works, it's never threw around the place, it costs 20c. This keeps the disrespectful feckers away from it.

Everything the garage supplies costs them money, including the provision of an air hose.

Why are you not demanding they give out free crisps, or a packet of chewing gum, or an apple with every purchase of petrol.

It's the same principle.

Why are you not demanding they give out free crisps, or a packet of chewing gum, or an apple with every purchase of petrol.
Because they never gave out free crisps, gum or apples before. They did always provide an air gun and water supply.

It's the same principle.
What they're all old school ?

Back