Is a death notice legally required?

Time

Is it a legal requirement to have a death notice if someone dies in Ireland? It may be customary etc etc but if one wanted to keep the death private is that allowed by law?

Naturally the death would be registered in the legal way.

Death notices are not compulsory, eg in the newspapers
Great that is what I Wanted to know. So no need for Tipp FM to announce my passing after the 10 am news.

... So no need for Tipp FM to announce my passing after the 10 am news.
I am sorry to hear of your demise which, I gather, was brought on by something you heard on the local news. Please accept my sympathy.

Bad news Time. It's the undertakers that report it to the radio and news papers these days.

But the undertaker only does so at the request of the family - just make sure your family are aware you don't want the news of you demise to be broadcast on the local radiowaves & papers

`So if the undertaker is told not to place notices etc that wish should be complied with?

Yes - he won't do it unless he get paid for that service.

Rip.ie is only an additional €10

Some people don't want everyone knowing.

I was told it is something they charge you for any ways as part of the deal.

It's nice to let people on the other side know you're on the way though. Do the papers verify the information they're given or do they just publish what they're told. Have there ever been wind up death notices.

Have there ever been wind up death notices.
Yes there have been in the past. It has been used to intimidate people involved in drugs and the IRA.

Now the papers only accept notices from undertakers.

Back