Irish widow's contributory pension - automatic eligibility

Mags0709

My husband sadly passed away recently and I have a question about my entitlement to an Irish widows contributory pension.

I am a UK resident and an Irish citizen but never worked in Ireland so did not qualify for an Irish state pension. My husband worked in Ireland and benefitted from the pre 1953 special top up as he started work in Ireland in 1948.

He was getting around 241 euro a week in Irish contributory state pension - comprising around 130 euros I believe as his basic weekly payment and around 110 euros as an increase for a qualified adult (IQA) for me (as I am on a low income). I understand the latter is means tested but the former is not.

What I want to know is am I automatically entitled to receive any of this following his death (beyond the 6 week transitional payment) or do I need to apply for this? I realise the IQA element is means tested based on the dependent's income but I assume the basic pension was not?

Thanks for your help.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

If your husband was in receipt of a contributory pension, then you should be eligible for the widow's pension based on his record. My mother has recently gone through the same process.

In my mother's case, once the Dept were advised of my father's death, they arranged for the 6 week payment (paid as a lump sum by cheque), and started the process for her widow's pension claim, so that it would be in payment for week 7.

There were forms to be completed, the Department sent them out directly to my mother.

I suggest you contact the Contributory Pension section of the Department, they are very helpful.

Gipimann thanks for your kind words. Apologies for prying but how much did your mother receive each week compared to what your father was getting? Did she get half his basic pension - or the full amount or something different?

Back