Irish Water replacing backyard service connection

kerryman43

Hi all, I got a leaflet in the letter box from Irish water saying they plan to replace the old shared water pipe to the main at the back of my home with a new dedicated pipe from the front. My house is an ex-corpo one built in the 40s.

They say they will cover the cost of the work and will look for my consent to do it. I'm wondering if need to consider whether to give it or not? or even what happens if I don't

Has anyone here been through this? and if so I'm wondering how much building work was needed inside the house? will they need to take up floors etc?

Yeah, the upgrade itself is of course good. I suppose I'd just like to have a better idea of what's involved. My house has already been renovated so it's quite different to how it originally was and I've no idea where the new pipe will even be connected in the house.

This is good news for you. Those shared drains at the back are a nightmare if something goes wrong. Imagine a neighbour upstream flushing wet wipes that end up causing an overflow in your garden. Irish Water won't touch these problems as they're on private land.

Whatever your concerns are, it's worth getting that line switched to the front.

This is good news for you. Those shared drains at the back are a nightmare if something goes wrong. Imagine a neighbour upstream flushing wet wipes that end up causing an overflow in your garden. Irish Water won't touch these problems as they're on private land.

Whatever your concerns are, it's worth getting that line switched to the front.
This is regarding the water supply, not the sewers.

Yeah, the upgrade itself is of course good. I suppose I'd just like to have a better idea of what's involved. My house has already been renovated so it's quite different to how it originally was and I've no idea where the new pipe will even be connected in the house.
Where is your main stopcock? Under the kitchen sink at the rear of the house?

Clarify the route they will take with the new feed, and how much disruption might be involved. As others have said though, the old shared feeds at the rear are old, they will fail at some point in the future and it could be a right pain to resolve as the pipes on your property are your responsibility.

Back