Irish Water Refund... How will you spend yours?

odyssey06

I won't believe it until the cheque clears but looks like anyone who paid will be refunded, and the €100 'water conservation grant' won't be deducted from the refund.
http://www.thejournal.ie/water-charges-refunds-3-3584274-Sep2017/

So how will you spend yours?
Looks the cheque should arrive in good time for Christmas \ Hogswatch \ Midwinter.

My plan is to perform the miracle of the turning of water (charges) into wine (purchases)...

... Apart from the 19,000 who claimed the grant without ever paying!

Mine €200, I believe, is earmarked for holiday fund.

Marion

I am afraid I my case I wont be getting a refund:(, only fair though as I didn't pay a penny towards water charges....well apart from the 30+years I have been working and paying my taxes that is! Good luck to everyone getting their money back though, and hopefully future governments will learn a lesson from this.

Seeing as my TV license direct debit came out Xmas week last year, that's probably where this refund will go!

Yea, the lesson is do the right and don't cave in to a vocal minority of net recipients led by a narcissistic failed trade unionist and the populist loony left.

But that vocal minority opposes tons of stuff that is still on the books.
So there must be something different about IW, no?

The difference was that the government and IW had a chance to win the support of rest of the population - the ones who pay bills - and they failed in it.

I have no problem paying for the water I consume, as long as I am charged a fair price for my actual usage.
That was not the case with IW as constructed and introduced.

Yea, the lesson is do the right and don't cave in to a vocal minority of net recipients led by a narcissistic failed trade unionist and the populist loony left.

Nah, just tax those who work (as usual) instead.

Hmm....the "vocal minority" which you mention seem to have turned into a lot more than a minority by the time election day came around! as many proponents of water charges were to learn to their cost.

Hmm....the "vocal minority" which you mention seem to have turned into a lot more than a minority by the time election day came around! as many proponents of water charges were to learn to their cost.
The vast majority of TD's elected were from parties who supported water charges, ergo the vast majority of people supported water charges.

The vast majority of TD's elected were from parties who supported water charges, ergo the vast majority of people supported water charges.

You can't seriously believe that... look at EU referendums. The best you could say for any vast majority is that they tolerated them.

The Labour Party manifesto opposed water charges, but Labour TDs still voted for them in office.
So on that count, it wasn't even a vast majority as they were the 2nd largest party in the state at the time.

And in the last election, the majority of TDs opposed water charges, which is why they are being abolished.

FF, FG and Labour all supported water charges. FF did their usual populist, follow the way they think the wind is blowing, band-wagon hopping. Labour accepted that reality is incompatible with opposition political posturing. FG were in power for the whole period and so had to deal with reality.

The loony left and former terrorists were always going to oppose water charges and all other things that were based on the common good and fairness. The addition of an opportunist former Trade Union insider with a narcissistic need for media attention and a limitless ability for self gratification added fuel to the fire.
Thankfully they do not make up the majority as the majority is reasonably rational and has more than a casual relationship with reality.

FF, FG and Labour all supported water charges. FF did their usual populist, follow the way they think the wind is blowing, band-wagon hopping. Labour accepted that reality is incompatible with opposition political posturing. FG were in power for the whole period and so had to deal with reality.

The loony left and former terrorists were always going to oppose water charges and all other things that were based on the common good and fairness. The addition of an opportunist former Trade Union insider with a narcissistic need for media attention and a limitless ability for self gratification added fuel to the fire.
Thankfully they do not make up the majority as the majority is reasonably rational and has more than a casual relationship with reality.

Au Contraire! the vast majority who opposed the insane construct of Irish Water (nothing but a billing operation to commodify and privatize Irish water resources supported by the Loony Right FF/FG civil war terrorists), voted with their feet and forced by a Democratic mandate and ethical civil disobedience the removal of the grossly inequitable Irish Water charges. Fair and equitable general taxation is the only way to go and the government has been given that message by ordinary decent tax payers or else!

Au Contraire! the vast majority who opposed the insane construct of Irish Water (nothing but a billing operation to commodify and privatize Irish water resources supported by the Loony Right FF/FG civil war terrorists), voted with their feet and forced by a Democratic mandate and ethical civil disobedience the removal of the grossly inequitable Irish Water charges. Fair and equitable general taxation is the only way to go and the government has been given that message by ordinary decent tax payers or else!
So FF and FG are not the biggest political parties in the State? Sorry comrade, my mistake.

the government has been given that message by ordinary decent tax payers or else!
I hope the irony of that comment is not lost on other posters!

I thought the 'civil war terrorists' bit was good too. Down with those sorts of 'terrorists', and up with the ones very recently (or perhaps still) up to their necks in it!!!

I thought the 'civil war terrorists' bit was good too. Down with those sorts of 'terrorists', and up with the ones very recently (or perhaps still) up to their necks in it!!!
Yea, the scum intimidating the contractors putting in a water meter outside my house were a long way from engaging in "ethical civil disobedience". When I asked them to leave and told them I wanted a water meter I was verbally abused. I only regret not thinking to record them on my phone.

Reactions: Leo
Back