Irish, UK & USA pension contributions

Nomadic

I am a UK citizen (74) who has worked abroad most of his life but have never claimed a state pension although I have 16 full contribution years from the UK (in the 60’s and 1996/97), worked in Ireland 1969/72; 1973/76 with recorded paye records and PPSN number, worked in USA 1971/73; 1982/86 with 29 credits. Other work periods were in the Middle East having no pension contributions. My question is where best should I claim for a consolidation of the above pension contributions, UK or Ireland. My taxable base at present is in Malta although I have no income as I live of capital. Can I contact both pension authorities to determine best solution.
Appreciate guidance and comments. Regards Nomadic

As an EU citizen you apply for your pension in your country of residence or in the last EU country where you paid social insurance contributions. They will then submit your claim to the relevant EU countries. It will take a certain time

Not sure about the US.

Hi there,
You can find out what if any UK state pension is available by checking through the DWP website using your NR number (you can top that up I believe) see link below. You have to register. It's a definite that you need someone who knows to help you. Sorry I don't know more without being misleading.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Jimmy

The pension sites only really work if all of your life has been spent in the one country. They don't have the calculations to total across the whole EU - so in the case in question, they are a guide to the minimum you will get.

Thanks for that. I have been on to the UK pension site to ascertain my applicable years. Before drawing on that I want to find how I would be treated in Ireland and will apply to them to obtain a comparison and how they treat UK & US contributions.

You will probably get a pension from both countries - not a full pension x 2 by any means. It isn't a case of getting a pension from one or the other. Under EU rules both the UK and Ireland will pay you a pension of some sort. Well, at least until Brexit day!

I have lived in Ireland since 2002, before that the UK, many years on disability. When I reached retirement age I gained the full UK pension and as it is well below the Irish levels, it gets supplemented here after means testing. Until this year my UK mobiliity allowance was exempted from means testing but that seems to have changed.

Back