I spoke with a gentleman today, in his 80s, who invested substantial portions of his life savings on the recommendations of a broker, in Solar 21 and this Credebt Exchange business. I have deep reservations about the motivations of the broker but that's not the point of this.
My gut tells me that he should get out of Credebt Exchange and put the money on deposit. In his own telling, he's risk-averse. But he also tells me that he's been dealing with Credebt Exchange for over a decade, has received a return somewhat higher than deposits, rolled over his investments every few years and been pleased with the service from the business.
I know little or nothing about this business beyond their own website, a couple of topics here on AAM and a couple of pieces from newspapers which were pretty much rehashed press releases. I also know nothing about their business model, other than they take money from investors and lend it out to businesses, taking a margin on the interest rate in the middle. They make a big deal about being insured by AIG but I don't know about the terms and conditions of what AIG do for them.
I'm aware of what can go right - he's received a rate of return higher than deposits for years. Can anyone who understands this business give me examples of what can go wrong?