Irish State Pension Entitlement

raith rover

We returned to Ireland from the UK in 1999. By retirement in 2023 at 67 I will have 23 years of Class A and Class S PRSI contributions for my Irish State Pension.
In addition I currently have 35 years of UK NI contributions partially made up by Class 2 voluntary contributions for non UK residents. This qualifies me for close to the maximum UK State Pension in 2022 at 66, with a small deduction for being contracted out for a number of years.
My query is as follows : I can continue to pay UK voluntary contributions over the next few years to bring me up to 40 years of pension contributions. I only need 35 years for my UK pension ( with present legislation ! ) Would it be possible to transfer 5 years into my Irish pension entitlement ? This would assist my overall Irish Pension as we move from Yearly Average to Total Contribution Approach.

No, you can't transfer but both countries will take into account the contributions made in the other when calculating your entitlements - not by adding them directly. It's more complicated than that but you do get credit for contributions made in other EU countries - one of the advantages of being in the EU. What will happen in the future isn't clear.

No, you can't transfer but both countries will take into account the contributions made in the other when calculating your entitlements - not by adding them directly.

Only if you fail to qualify for a full pension in all of the member states in which you have contributed.

You should receive both pensions separately (full rate or close to) from the UK at age 66 and a portion from Ireland at 67 based on your 23 years contributions.
Unfortunately there is no system for transfer of contributions from the UK to here and as yet it's not clear whether 30 or 40 years is considered eligibility for a full rate

Many thanks for the update. Fingers crossed it's 30 years for the full rate or many people will be very disappointed.

It is looking that 40 is the more likely figure but it is not certain yet:

"Q23. What is the timeline for the introduction of the overall Total Contribution Approach, and when will it be known how many years will be required under the new system for a maximum rate pension?

Officials in the Department have been working on the introduction of a Total Contributions
Approach since 2015. The recent Actuarial Review of the Social Insurance Fund has been
used to explore the costs of various options and to inform the design of the Total
Contributions Approach.This Review was recently completed and published, and the costings produced are being considered, with a view to progressing to the next stage, which will include a consultation process.

The final structure of the model, which will include the number of years required for
a maximum rate of pension, and the treatment of credited contributions and homemaking
periods, will be submitted to Government later this year."

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Pensions_PolicyOptionsReporton2012RateBands_Q+A.pdf

Back