Irish Resident Employed by UK co so need to get a NI Number

Lauren

I have recently been appointed to a job by a UK company. I live in Ireland and return to Ireland every weekend so my residence is in Ireland and I don't have a UK address. I need a national insurance number so my employer can pay me. I have now spoken to fifteen different people in various UK national insurance/tax offices and am still none the wiser about how I might go about getting a NI number.

I know that ultimately I have to go to a Job Centre with my identity papers so they can verify who I am to set me up but to go to a Job Centre I need to have an appointment. I can't get an appointment because the system requires me to have a UK postcode so they can record me on the system. I have been told so many variations on how to go about doing this. Last time I was advised to write a letter as they don't deal with 'foreigners' on the phone only via letter. I wrote the letter three weeks ago but have had no response so I'm not even sure whether it actually reached anyone who cares!

Surely Irish people have done this before? If so how did you get your NI number? All I want to do is pay tax.

Back