Irish Rail's €10 offer

B

bluebean

Just noticed that Irish Rail are doing a special offer whereby you can travel from Dublin to anywhere in the country, day return for a tenner. Days of travel Monday to Thursday, with few exceptions. Good deal. If you live in Dublin. What about the rest of the country? I think this is blatant discrimination! How come the Dubs get a reduced fare while the rest of us plebs have to pay full whack?
It makes me mad :mad

Might be worth getting in touch with their [broken link removed] department to find out why this is the case?

There are plenty of culchies and townies in Dublin who can avail of this offer! :p

Well the whole thing doesn't really matter much anyway. What are you meant to do for transport when you get to where ever you're going?

This is why I don't ever get the train, even if it was free. I would be stuck without a car at the other side.

Re: .

Well the whole thing doesn't really matter much anyway. What are you meant to do for transport when you get to where ever you're going?

I'd imagine it might matter if you didn't have a car for a start!

?

Who in Ireland doesn't rely on a car! chortle :D

Farranfore Rail Station and KIA

Suggestion: get a train to Farranfore then hire a car at KIA (Kerry International Airport, named for a President before he's elected!). You can get some good day rates at the Hertz desk there. Im not sure of the train times and how long you would have to savour the delights of the SouthWest!

Alternatively Aer Arran do single flights starting at about €40.

ajapale

?

> Who in Ireland doesn't rely on a car! chortle

Me for one. :p

> Why not?

Because I never learned to drive properly and don't need or want a car.

> Very sensible/unusual approach!

I wouldn't have thought that it was that unusual. I know plenty of friends and colleagues who are in a similar position of not wanting or needing a car. I know plenty of others who do have one but who could do without (and without the expense). Maybe my friends and colleagues are not representative though. I once had one who sold his ancient Skoda which he rarely used (and which rarely started when he tried!) to buy an expensive semi recumbent tricycle for his wife who liked to cycle (usually on their tandem) but had an inner ear problem which meant that she couldn't balance on a two wheeler! :)

To address a point made by the original poster:

How come the Dubs get a reduced fare while the rest of us plebs have to pay full whack?

From my own personal experience, the price of a return ticket from Nenagh or Westport to Dublin used to always be lower than that from Dublin to the sticks. So I don't think our country cousins have too much to complain about.

Do you live in Dublin perchance? I live in Tullamore and work in Mullingar. No car = on the dole or change where I live.

I used to live and work in Limerick - the city that convinced me to get a car. I used to be standing in the rain for hours on end waiting for a bus from the Industrial park in to town. I put up with it for 4 months before I finally caved. Returning to Tullamore didn't help either, as I had to train it to Portlaoise and get a lift home from there.

Car = freedom (of a sort)
No Car = either you live in a city/ you don't travel/ you get lifts from other people

> Do you live in Dublin perchance?

Me? Yeah - I live within walking distance of work and Dublin city centre etc.

> Car = freedom (of a sort)

Agreed. But I couldn't justify having a car (and in particular the expenses that go with it) based on how often I would really need to use it.

> No Car = either you live in a city/ you don't travel/ you get lifts from other people

I mainly use public transport locally and nationally to get around. This does limit the possible destinations in some cases but that doesn't really bother me.

I would give anything to be able to get rid of my car. It's a complete pain in the ass. It's costing me a fortune in petrol, loans, NCTs, services, tyres, tax, etc. etc. I'm afraid of my life I'm going to break the law by speeding a bit every time I sit in the feckin thing (and me with dodgy bloodpressure!!). I'm normally vigilent but I'm only human. I can't really go to half the places I'm invited and have a drink because taxis cost an arm and a leg due to the distances involved and obviously, drink driving is out of the question. I feel guilty about it too (bloody Catholic upbringing). I think of the emissions and the wasted energy and how I'm helping to clog up the country roads that I once cycled on all the time but wouldn't dare attempt now and generally my driving is adding to the kind of life and country that I really don't want to have.

I live in the town, so it could be worse - some of my friends are really restricted. But mainly I need mine to get to work (in a different town). The bus only runs one way once a day between the two county towns in question, so there's no choice at all.

No matter what the price, public transport could not be as bad as this. But it's only a pipe dream for someone like me.

Rebecca

MissRibena - I feel exactly the same way, and I live in Dublin. I absolutely abhor driving; it's the bane of my life. I have turned down jobs in the city centre because of this. I only drink at home, and have to plan it so that I don't have to go anywhere that evening.

If I want to use Dublin's 'public transport' I would have to get at least two busses because most bus routes are radial. I'm nowhere near a Luas, so I wont be using that.

car?

' Who in Ireland doesn't rely on a car! chortle '

I don't either,it's a bad investment for once you get it,it goes down in value. i have my trusty bike,live within commuting distance of the centre,work and leisure plus i'm on a bus route.god bless free delivery from the local supermarket.

re

NoelC, I still don't see why someone from Cork would have to fork out €54.50 for a day return ticket to Dublin, while someone originating in Dublin only has to pay a tenner! It really seems unfair, its geographical discrimination as far as I can see.

I have never come across a trip from Dublin to a particular destination costing more than from said destination to Dublin - how much of a difference? That is pretty crazy if it is true.

Bluebean, if you're travelling to or from Dublin, then what's the problem? Why not buy a few tickets next time you're in Dublin, and use them in 'reverse'?

Back