Irish Rail Friday prices

Ron Burgundy

Adult day return from Portarlington to City Centre - mon to thurs.....19 euro

Adult day return from Portarlington to City Centre - fri - 25.10

Now can anyone explain the difference in price to me. The staff in the station are brain dead and only say," we just take in the money".

Do we get extra special super duper trains on a friday.......no notmally the service is more crowded than usual and not on time !!!!

IE are entitled to charge what they wish. I sit on a seat next to students most days and they pay less than me for their ticket!

Part of the reason they charge more for a day return on a Friday is to deter the day trippers who take up valuable space on a Friday. This dates back to a time when if you worked in Dublin and were from Laois, Carlow, Wexford, Meath you lived in Dublin during the week and went home at the weekend.

IE are entitled to charge what they wish. I sit on a seat next to students most days and they pay less than me for their ticket!

Part of the reason they charge more for a day return on a Friday is to deter the day trippers who take up valuable space on a Friday. This dates back to a time when if you worked in Dublin and were from Laois, Carlow, Wexford, Meath you lived in Dublin during the week and went home at the weekend.

Did i question this, i was just looking for a logical reason. And they are not, they must look for a fare increase if they want one.

people going home on a friday would get a monthly return, not a day return anyway. The train are already packed on a friday so detering day trippers doesn't sound logical to me.

The logical reason is as I have described. They have no capacity for day-trippers on a Friday, they want to accommodate the Friday/Sunday return people.

The monthy return price is the price you paid €25.10, so on a Friday you are not allowed to buy a day saver, you can only buy a monthly (open) return.

logical reason = peak time

all planes, trains (on the continent) do it, don't they? Travel with ryanair Tues to Thus for 1c fly weekends for 169€ (purely fictitious example given)

Ryan air do not supply public transport.

Do they do this on the dart, dublin bus ?? does bus eireann do it ??

Bus Eireann does do it - the fare for the commuter service from Drogheda to Dublin differs depending on the time of the day the passenger travels (€5 during peak hours morning and evening, €4 otherwise). They also have midweek and weekend fares on their intercity routes, similar to the trains.

DART and Dublin Bus would be different in that they aren't inter-city services, no?

It's not just in Ireland this happens. When I lived in the UK it was always the case that Friday was the most expensive day of the week to take the train.

Same fare structure in germany & USA.

Same with hotels - 2 night breaks midweek €99, weekends €139.

Same with restaurants - early bird menus Mon - thursdays.

Same with pubs - late prices after 10pm / 11pm (in most countries -not just ireland! (charged 10.90 for 1/2 litre in Paris few months back))

And same with Iarnrod Eireann - why should they be different to every other business - just because they are state supported doesn't mean they shouldn't be run on a commercial basis!

the trains are already crazy on a friday so the price increase for that day isn't working as a way of stopping day fares, if people have to travel they have to travel. It is a public service after all. Not every one has a car or can drive and need public transport.

Also not everyone lives in Dublin and has bus/luas/dart.

"Same fare structure in germany & USA.

Same with hotels - 2 night breaks midweek €99, weekends €139.

Same with restaurants - early bird menus Mon - thursdays.

Same with pubs - late prices after 10pm / 11pm (in most countries -not just ireland! (charged 10.90 for 1/2 litre in Paris few months back))

And same with Iarnrod Eireann - why should they be different to every other business - just because they are state supported doesn't mean they shouldn't be run on a commercial basis!"

Is this not public transport or is that only for dart etc in Dublin ????

Your all missing the point, the fare is not increased on a Friday/Weekend - that is the normal fare. The standard fare that has been allowed.

The standard fare is discounted during the week to encourage travel.

Perhaps everyone would be happy if the fare wasn't discounted.

Back