Irish Presidency Campaign

Re: okay then...

right piggy, you've worn me down; I give up.

Re: okay then...

Ah now. Don't be doing that. Just because you're slightly older than me is no reason to be feeling the effects of old age just yet. Married life must be wearing you down. Either that or the au pair anyway!?! :p

I'll be genuinely watching RTE with beady eyes from now on for that left-wing agenda. You may well be right y'know.

A new scale

I think "left-right" is an outmoded class war way of categorising people's views. I suggest that the "piggy" scale is more appropriate for the 21st century.

On this scale of one's World View, piggy would of course be 100 degrees. I suggest that ElCid would be the freezing point.

It is then relatively easy to calibrate people's World View. I myself would come in at 50, which would be a recommended ideal. :D

Purple is about 75. Now when it comes to RTE different interviewers have different readings. Mark Little would come in at an ideal 50 but Caroline would be as near 100 as makes no difference.

On balance I would measure the following organs/people on the piggy scale:

RTE 75
Irish Times 85
Sunday Business Post 98
Sunday Independent 20
Independent 50
Vincent Browne 96
Shane Ross -10
AAM (on balance) 80

Re: A new scale

Interesting idea YD, can you expand on how the system works?

Piggy scale

Well, purple, an accurate piggyometer is of course a very delicate instrument but a ruff and ready reading can be got by answering the following questions.

1. How right was it to invade Iraq : not at all 20, definitely -10 : gradations in between allowed

2. Do you think that America conducts most of its foreign policy on the basis of Oil : again 20 to 0

3. Who is in the right, the Palestinians or the Israelis : 20 to 0

4. How badly do you want George Bush to lose the election : 20 for very much to -5 for not at all

5. Do you think we should tolerate Muslim madness : 20 for definitely yes to 0 for definitely no.

The ideal score (which incidentally yours truly obtains) is 10 piggy points for each question. :D

skewed logic

YD your scale looks very skewed to me. I've been knocking around this place on and off for about four years now. I think I can say that Piggy is far from being on the far end of any scale. He is far more centered in his thinking than you are. As is purple. So I'd put Purple at 50 and Piggy at 50. Reading your posts I'd definitely put you at about 85-95.

Oh one more thing. I don't think you've ever really understood anything Pigger's has ever said. That's evident from the five questions you've asked. Standing up against racism does not mean he tolerates terrorism.

Can we start a new scale for people who never seem to get the point or even understand what the rest of us are saying? You're boiling point YD. Well done.

Re: skewed logic

Thanks scales, if you are not already doing so under another name, why not join in? You don't actually have to know anything about the topic being diegussed. I'm proof of that!!

YD, you are not the worst poster on AAM, I find that when you agree with me your points are balanced, whereas when you disagree you are biased and opinionated :D

I'm afread to say a word about piggy as he can wear anyone down using his "buy why??" tactic.

I smell pork

Scales is obviously a temporary cover for a contributor of 4 years standing - nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, but interesting to speculate which of the mainline contributors is using this cover.

Purple, thanks, I think. :D

Re: Piggy scale

YD,

I purposefully stayed away from engaging with you because you've always demonstrated a remarkable ability to misinterpret absolutely everything I say.

1. How right was it to invade Iraq : not at all 20, definitely -10 : gradations in between allowed

Not at all. If you agree with me (and Kofi Annan does) that does not make you left wing. Milions of people agree with me.

2. Do you think that America conducts most of its foreign policy on the basis of Oil : again 20 to 0

Sometimes.

3. Who is in the right, the Palestinians or the Israelis : 20 to 0

Neither.

4. How badly do you want George Bush to lose the election : 20 for very much to -5 for not at all

Very much so...for the safety of the world. I'd hazard a guess that half the planet is probably split on that decision. Although secretly I'd guess that more people are in favour of seeing him outed, regardless of the boring alternative.

5. Do you think we should tolerate Muslim madness : 20 for definitely yes to 0 for definitely no.

Do I think we should tolerate terrorism? No.
Do I think we should tolerate racist remarks from people with small minds? No.

bias?

Biased left wing media????

You're pulling our leg purple right?
When was the last time you questioned the coverage of the war on Iraq? We here daily about the innocent Iraqi's that the "insurgents" have killed. We hear about the hostages that have been taken. We here about the insurgents that the American soldiers have killed.

When was the last time you heard RTE, or any other news station report on the innocent men women and children that had been bombed and killed by American soldiers. When was the last time you saw pictures of small children blown to bits by allied service men?

How many innocent civilians were murdered by the west in iraq? How many dead? OVER 10000. THATS HOW MANY.
Do we report that in the west?

Like hell we do.

Irish President

This one has gone somewhat off topic.

Consider that it Dana had been able to run we would have an election bewteen tow British citizens for the President of Ireland. As it is a Brit will be President of Ireland for 14 years. :D

Does it matter?

...at the end of the day does it really matter who is President? All we need is someone who sits pretty & does not make an This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of themselves when they meet with foreign dignitaries. Other than that it's a nice job if you can get it.

It is certainly not worth wasting €10m of the tax payers money in running the election & hence throwning good money after bad.

ninsaga

Yes it matters!

It is certainly not worth wasting €10m of the tax payers money in running the election & hence throwning good money after bad.

But €40 million to the GAA with no strings attached is better? Or not one politician behind bars for corruption even after they have been exposed through the tribunals which has cost lots, or €50 million for a E-Voting system which sits idle?

Glad you like your democracy...

When was the last time you heard RTE, or any other news station report on the innocent men women and children that had been bombed and killed by American soldiers. When was the last time you saw pictures of small children blown to bits by allied service men?
Every other day in the Irish Edition of the Guardian. On RTE TV and radio and to a lesser extent in native news papers. I do accept that the reporting of the war in Iraq is very coloured by US and UK reporters that are there. My complaint is more to do with the criticism of Israel and US foreign policy in the middle east. Both deserve criticism but there is very little counter criticism of the police states that surround Israel and their treatment of the minorities, palistinians included, within their borders.

How many innocent civilians were murdered by the west in iraq? How many dead? OVER 10000. THATS HOW MANY.
I don’t accept that it’s murder in most cases. A disregard for the lives lost as colatteral damage during bombing raids etc, yes. But murder? I don’t think so. I would say the figure is much higher than 10000 though.

Back