Irish people with fake American accents

Jim Davis

I don’t mean Irish people who moved to the states and have that quasi accent when they come home for Christmas. I'm talking about full blown Irish people that pronounce many of their words with American accents. "Hey guys" "are you going to the movies" "that’s weird and stuff" and "water". Also, does anyone notice how people end their sentences in a high note? When did these come in?

Irish TV presenters are always at it and I can hear it constantly on the street and on Irish websites. "That was the worst song ever". Internet posts are always started with "Guys" or "Hey Guys" Or “Dude”, sorry but the word is lads, fellas or blokes.

And, Lex, don't you think it's so like totally awesome to hear Americans using the Corkonian word "like" in like so many different ways like?

Marion

And, Lex, don't you think it's so like totally awesome to hear Americans using the Corkonian word "like" in like so many different ways like?

Marion

You're my best girl, Marion! Next time you're in Cork, I'll show you a real good time. ;)

Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Calloh! Callay!

Sue - let's go South!

Marion

Also, does anyone notice how people end their sentences in a high note? When did these come in?
This is known as the Australian Questioning Intonation (AQI) or the Raised Inflection. World wide usage now but AFAIK started in Australia in the caring professions. By talking this way you almost always get a response - without directly asking a question. On the other hand a Falling Inflective is just a terminal statement.

Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Calloh! Callay!

Sue - let's go South!

Marion

This looks like it has the makings of a serious evening in The Long Valley! Poetry and porter. :D Should I give Graham 07 a shout, as well?

This is known as the Australian Questioning Intonation (AQI) or the Raised Inflection. ...
AKA the antipodean interrogative or VVIWOS (very, very irritating way of speaking).
... AFAIK started in Australia in the caring professions ...
No it started on Neighbours and Home and Away, but personally I blame Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. He was such a delightful little character that any other film or TV series featuring a miniature Australian was a guaranteed hit (think Paul Hogan, Kylie & Dannii Minogue, Rolf Harris, Barry Humphries, etc.
... By talking this way you almost always get a response ...
Very often a box in the mouth, but a response nonetheless.

What about the fake I've travelled in Australia and picked up the phrases like "No Worries"? e.g.

I hand the money to shop assistant.
He hands me back my change.
I say Thank You.
He says No worries.

I bleedin well know its No worries.

Drives me mad every time.

What about the fake I've travelled in Australia and picked up the phrases like "No Worries"? e.g.

I know someone who NEVER stepped foot in Oz but picked up the AQI from living with two of them in Dublin for a year. So he got none of the fun and all of the downside of travelling to Australia. Poor guy.

I was sitting in front of a really annoying UCD student on the bus yesterday. Every second word was 'like' and, when her friend asked her what she was planning to do during the summer, she said she'd like to pick grapes, like, because it would be so, like 'random'.
What on earth does that mean?????

This is not a new phenomenon. When I was in college (a few! years ago) there was a girl (from Leitrim) who came back from her J1 in the States with such an American accent and mannerisms that she was thereafter nicknamed ‘Leitrim DC’.

If you want to see where this is made a mockery of then see if you can get a clip on youtube of stewie talking to brian about brians blonde girlfriend.......funny stuff and mocks the accent and the pronunciation well...... also rips the **** out of brians girl,infact if you see the full episode its one of the best.

Back