Irish People And Escalators

Is the etiquette to stand on the right and let people pass on the left, as someone mentioned below?
I would have thought it would make more sense to stand on the left and let people pass on the right (like the fast lane on a dual carriageway).

You mean the overtaking lane ;) ?
I reject the assumption that Irish are bad drivers :rolleyes: !

Back to the OP, I thought it was just me ! Same with moving walkways in airports. IMHO the point of these, and escalators, is that you can travel the same distance for less effort - not zero effort. In an airport it's easier to get past as you have a luggage trolley to clip their ankles.

Anyway, it's a transport issue, so obviously it's Martin Cullen's fault ;).

I will certainly be raising the issue come election time though. I think this is the issue that Enda and Pat have been waiting for.

Absolutely! Lets put a bit of meat into their campaigns :)

I'll write to them today!

I live near the square and it's difficult enough to get some of the muppets that use the place to spell their own names properly, grasping the idea of one side for standing and one side for walking on an escalator I fear may be well beyond them !

I think there's no chance this will happen soon at The Square as I've had numerous encounters there with people who stop at the top or bottom of the escalators once they're off. The pile up it causes is always most amusing!!

Robbed from Ainya in Shooting the Breeze

Did you hear about the near-tragedy at the mall?
> >> >> >>
>There was a power outage, and twelve blondes were stuck on the escalators
>for over four hours. *****************
> >> >> >>

Maybe we should set up an highly trained escalator police unit

Interesting idea but that's taking things to another level. I think we should take one step at a time resolving this issue - we've all had our ups and downs but there must be a better way to convey the message?

Interesting idea but that's taking things to another level. I think we should take one step at a time resolving this issue - we've all had our ups and downs but there must be a better way to convey the message?

:) Good lazy Friday afternoon was it?

I would recommend stun guns for use on those airheads who block up the stairways at Balally LUAS stations while exchanging air-kisses or comparing which designer label purchases they have made at the Dundrum Mall.

I would recommend stun guns for use on those airheads who block up the stairways at Balally LUAS stations while exchanging air-kisses or comparing which designer label purchases they have made at the Dundrum Mall.

Jealousy is a terrible thing - Oh to be young again ;)

. In an airport it's easier to get past as you have a luggage trolley to clip their ankles..
Yes but don't forget they can always give you a good kick up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language after you get past them.:p

Two a breast is a national thing just look at any dual carrigeway.

Always hear the irish are 'gas people' - fill up any given space :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgiLgrB8Qo

At least when people step off an escalator they're kind of propelled forward a few steps by the momentum. A special circle in hell should be reserved for those groups of young girls (usually) who stop dead upon reaching the bottom of a busy flight of stairs and then start looking around to see (a) what direction they're going in next, (b) what 'hot' boys might be in the vicinity (same thing), or (c) what the last text message is on their mobile 'phone. Since the one that came 20 seconds previously.

Anyway, can any of you do this?

A special circle in hell should be reserved for those groups of young girls (usually) who stop dead upon reaching the bottom of a busy flight of stairs

I travel a good bit, and frequently have a trolley bag with me. When I climb the stairs in a train station, at the top I stop for a second to pull up the handle to be able to drag it along. What drives me mad, is people coming up the stairs behind me who bang into me during that milli-second pause. They are so unaware of other people, and seem to have no comprehension that a person dragging a heavy bag up a flight of stairs cant seemlessly continue walking when they reach the top. Every time I travel it happens...grrr.

Back