Irish pension scheme...confused

I

IMINOZ

I have a couple of questions regarding Irish pension schemes that I am hoping someone can help me with.

I am an Irish Citizen who has lived in Australia for a number of years. At this stage, I am FAR more familiar with pension entitlements in Australia so please excuse me if my questions seem silly.

In Australia it is mandatory for your employer to contribute 9% of your salary into a superannuation account. I am of the understanding in Ireland this is entirely up to the employer and they do not necessarily have to open a pension scheme for you. I think I'm correct in thinking this??

I have a pension scheme here with an approx value of about 10k. I am thinking of returning to Ireland on a permanent basis and I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

I have trawled through a few threads on this website, but I'm not sure I understand it all quite yet.

What kind of tax relief do you get from contributing to a PRSA via your pay?

Does Ireland have a scheme of salary sacrificing? Where by which your pension contribution is deducted from your pay prior to income tax being deducted?

I'd appreciate anyones help!!!!

I have a couple of questions regarding Irish pension schemes that I am hoping someone can help me with.

In Australia it is mandatory for your employer to contribute 9% of your salary into a superannuation account. I am of the understanding in Ireland this is entirely up to the employer and they do not necessarily have to open a pension scheme for you. I think I'm correct in thinking this??

CORRECT.

What kind of tax relief do you get from contributing to a PRSA via your pay?

All pension contributions give you tax and PRSI relief at your marginal rate, i.e. 20% or 41% plus PRSI relief.

Does Ireland have a scheme of salary sacrificing? Where by which your pension contribution is deducted from your pay prior to income tax being deducted?

That's how it works, so you save tax at either 20% or 41%.

I'd appreciate anyones help!!!!

Back