Phileas1969
New Member
- Messages
- 5
Hello,
I'm hoping someone with experience of Irish tax and the remittance basis can clarify a specific point for me.
I am Irish tax resident but non-Irish domiciled and hold shares in foreign companies (Canadian/US listed shares) through Interactive Brokers Ireland.
My understanding is that, under the remittance basis, foreign capital gains are generally taxable in Ireland only to the extent that the gain is received/remitted into Ireland.
My question is specifically about Interactive Brokers Ireland:
If I sell a foreign share within my IBKR Ireland account, creating a capital gain, but leave the proceeds entirely within the IBKR brokerage account and do not transfer the money to an Irish bank account or otherwise use it in Ireland, does the sale nevertheless become an Irish-taxable event simply because the brokerage account is operated by an Irish entity?
In other words, does the fact that the broker is Interactive Brokers Ireland mean that the gain is automatically regarded as having been "received in the State", even though I have not withdrawn or used the proceeds in Ireland?
Or does the remittance/receipt question depend on the proceeds actually being transferred, brought into, or used/enjoyed in Ireland?
I'm specifically asking about ordinary foreign-listed shares, rather than ETFs or offshore investment funds.
I appreciate that this is ultimately something I will get professional tax advice on, but I'm trying to establish the correct interpretation before doing so.
If anyone believes that simply selling the shares within an IBKR Ireland account makes the gain taxable in Ireland, could you please point me towards the specific Revenue guidance or legislation supporting that position?
Thanks.
I'm hoping someone with experience of Irish tax and the remittance basis can clarify a specific point for me.
I am Irish tax resident but non-Irish domiciled and hold shares in foreign companies (Canadian/US listed shares) through Interactive Brokers Ireland.
My understanding is that, under the remittance basis, foreign capital gains are generally taxable in Ireland only to the extent that the gain is received/remitted into Ireland.
My question is specifically about Interactive Brokers Ireland:
If I sell a foreign share within my IBKR Ireland account, creating a capital gain, but leave the proceeds entirely within the IBKR brokerage account and do not transfer the money to an Irish bank account or otherwise use it in Ireland, does the sale nevertheless become an Irish-taxable event simply because the brokerage account is operated by an Irish entity?
In other words, does the fact that the broker is Interactive Brokers Ireland mean that the gain is automatically regarded as having been "received in the State", even though I have not withdrawn or used the proceeds in Ireland?
Or does the remittance/receipt question depend on the proceeds actually being transferred, brought into, or used/enjoyed in Ireland?
I'm specifically asking about ordinary foreign-listed shares, rather than ETFs or offshore investment funds.
I appreciate that this is ultimately something I will get professional tax advice on, but I'm trying to establish the correct interpretation before doing so.
If anyone believes that simply selling the shares within an IBKR Ireland account makes the gain taxable in Ireland, could you please point me towards the specific Revenue guidance or legislation supporting that position?
Thanks.