Irish Medical Board bans Mesulid/Nimesulid/Aulin/Mesine

Vanilla

See the link below. Apparently this has been banned in other countries for years. It is ( from my basic understanding) an anti inflammatory drug which is commonly prescribed for many things, including headaches, period pain, pulled muscles etc. I was alarmed when I read this simply because of the range of things it can be prescribed for. I would think many people have it in their medicine cabinets and just wanted to alert you. I know I was prescribed it about 3/4 weeks about for back pain.

[broken link removed]

I see that it states to return any of these medicines to the chemist - don't suppose you get reimbursed for them?

Please note the posting guideline on discussion of medical issues.

It's ok to note that a particular medicine has been withdrawn, and fine to discuss reimbursement, but not ok to discuss the health impacts of the decision. We really aren't equipped to deal with medical discussions here.

MugsGame (moderator)

My wife now has three different tablets that have been withdrawn in the past couple of years. Expensive tablets. Is there some way that she can get a refund from the drug company?

Called to our chemist today to see if they would give a refund on the tablets. We more or less knew the answer but decided to ask anyway. No refund but they will take them back from us. They also said that they haven't been contacted by anyone else, drugs company or Irish Medicines Board to say that these (Aulin) had been recalled. In fact they said that they still had them on our shelf and were dispensing them as normal.
Strange?

I would have expected the the IMB or at least the IPU to be keeping pharmacists informed on this issue. Or for pharmacists to at least be reading the newspapers and other media outlets to keep abreast of matters. Aren't the IPU always telling us how important a job they and why deregulation might represent a danger to customers (e.g. such as selling withdrawn drugs, [broken link removed] or quack treatments)?

Aulin was/is sold without perscription in other European countries. Worries me as in younger days I among others used it as a remedy for loads of ailments. Hangovers included.

Called to our chemist today to see if they would give a refund on the tablets. We more or less knew the answer but decided to ask anyway. No refund but they will take them back from us. They also said that they haven't been contacted by anyone else, drugs company or Irish Medicines Board to say that these (Aulin) had been recalled. In fact they said that they still had them on our shelf and were dispensing them as normal.
Strange?

was at my own Dr yesterday and took back the Aulin I have been on for past 8 years (on and off) was told take it to chemist, The chemist told me first he had heard about it was on Joe Duffy

Apparently this has been banned in other countries for years.
Given that each country has their own regulatory regime, it is inevitable that drug approvals will vary from county to country. To say that it is 'banned' may be misleading. It may well have been withdrawn, or never approved in other countries. But there are many drugs withdrawn or never approved in Ireland which are available in other countries. This in itself is not a sign of something wrong.

Back