Irish Life Health Renewal

Smurfet1

We are a family of 4 . Ages 48,44,18 and 14years .
Currently on Select Plus for last 2 years . Policy due for renewal on 22nd March.

Financial means limited for this renewal so may not be able to move us all to different companies if upfront payment required .

Can stretch to 210 to 240e monthly budget wise

Would like to keep excesses less than 200e .

Day to day not essential or maternity.

Orthopaedics is something that we will need to consider in future as both adults will need hip and knee replacements possibly in our 50s . So we have time yet to rectify same . I'm aware of 2year upgrade rule and that our budget is tight this year .
I'm aware that Laya plans maybe better for this .

Are there better value plans out there, with exposure to more hospitals that we should consider?

I was looking at Benefit plan and 4D Health 1 or 4D Health 2 plans for the adults .

Both kids are healthy thank God, but 18yr old involved in sports so access to sports clinic would be welcome should need arise . Currently renewal premium for him is 476.20e . Maybe there is a better value young adult plan we should be looking at .

Any help with this would be gratefully received as I'm very confused with all the plans out there .

Hi Smurfet1,

Welcome to AAM.

Adult Options;
There are a few alternatives worth considering with more hospital cover; Details as follows;
1. VHI PMI 37 13; price 1075pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess 100 per admission
and 100 perday case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover on this plan. 80% orthopaedic cover in private or hi-tech hospitals.

2. Company Plan Plus Level 1.2; price 1128pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admisison and
50 per day case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover on this plan, 50% refund for gp visits, dental,
consultants, physio etc. 80% orthopaedic cover in private or hi-tech hospitals.

3. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year
for all admissions(regardless of how many), day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover
on this plan, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants, dental, physio etc. 80% orthopaedic cover in private or hi-tech hospitals.

4. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa(+33 if you pay monthly) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped
at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions(regardless of how many). Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included,50% refund for gp visits, consultants, dental, physio etc. 100% orthopaedic cover in all private and hi-tech hospitals on this plan, no excess or shortfall applies.

5. Irish Life 4D Health 1; price 1045pa; all public, private and some hi-tech hospital cover included, private/hi-tech excess 200 per admission and
day case excess 75 per procedure. A co payment of 2000 applies to hip and knee replacement surgery in private or hi-tech hospitals. But if you
have orthopaedic surgery in Blackrock Clinic Dublin, there is no co payment to pay as this hospital does not pass this charge onto the patient.
Other private hospitals will charge the patient 2000 co payment per surgery.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzgxOCw3OTAsMTI3LDgzNV0sInBsYW5zIjp7ImRhdGEiOltdLCJsb2FkaW5nIjp0cnVlfSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZERhdGEiOltdLCJhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiI6eyJ0b2dnbGVfc2Nyb2xsTG9jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCwxMDQ1LjRdLCJtaW5NYXhFeGNlc3MiOlswLDYwMF0sInBsYW5UeXBlIjoxLCJwbGFuc1NlbGVjdGVkIjpbNTM4LDY0NV0sInBsYW5zIjp7ImRhdGEiOltdLCJsb2FkaW5nIjp0cnVlfSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZERhdGEiOltdLCJhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiI6eyJ0b2dnbGVfc2Nyb2xsTG9jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

NOTE; There is 80% orthopaedic cover on the first 3 above options with VHI. If you were to have hip or knee replacment surgery in the
Blackrock Clinic Dublin, there is no shortfall to pay as this hospital does not pass the shortfall charge onto the patient.
Other private hospitals will charge the shortfall charge which would be 3000+ depending on the hospital.

18 year old option
The following plan is worth considering, details as follows;
1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 399pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for
all admissions(regardless of how many). Day case excess 50 per procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover
included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants, dental, optical, physio etc. Also, access is available to VHI Swiftcare Clinics on this plan and
the Santry Sports Clinic is covered.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MTgsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzgxOCw2NDVdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

14 year old options
The following options are worth considering, details as follows;
1. VHI One Plan 150; price 184pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered. Private excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

2. VHI One + Plan; price 208pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission and 125 per day
case procedure. Limited day to day cover on this plan.

3. Irish Life Benefit plan; price 179; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess capped at 200 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case excess 125 per procedure.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Note; Children and young adults can be insured with VHI on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured.
You can pay by installments if you want.
Laya or Irish Life don't allow this, an adult must be insured also on the policy.

Irish Life plan 4D Health2 would be more expensive than the adult options above and Irish Life Benefit plan is ok as a temporary option.
There is a 2000 co payment on orthopaedic surgery on this plan, Blackrock Clinic is not covered for orthopaedic surgery on this plan so
other private hospitals will apply the 2000 charge.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hello Snowyb ,

Thank you for your time and detailed response. It is much appreciated.

My ILH policy autorenewed a day early(21st) but I know I have 14 days cooling off in total to play with . I hope to make my decision by Tuesday at latest.

I think I'm drawn more towards Laya for 2adults in particular due to no co payment for orthopaedics .

I would love Simply Connect for both of us , but may have to compromise .
It might be worth putting my husband on same due to fact of loosing 'back up 'benefit if we leave ILH as he has used this service previously ,
but was wondering is Essential Health 300 worth considering even for me if we absorb the 300excess ?

Phoning around companies this week was very enlightening and disheartening when you hear prices

Due to age profile of adults , cardiac benefit was being pushed particularly for my 48 year old husband (no cardiac issues at present)resulting in a premium cost that I was hoping we would all have cover for .

Am I correct in saying both above mentioned policies seem to have good level of cardiac cover should it be needed?

With Vhi for 18 and 14 year olds when they say %cover for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures are they talking about joint replacements , cataracts etc ?

1. If, God forbid the 18yr old damaged cruciate ligament during sport would this be covered do you think or subject to co payment in private hospital?

2. Mri cover what does category 1 and category 2 mean ? Category 2 is subject to excess.

Also Snowyb , let's say we're admitted to private hospital ,semi-private room . What if we need isolation in single room due to infectious condition (eg vomiting bug ,etc)during our stay or maybe for our own protection due to maybe chemo would you be charged the nightly shortfall do you think to cover single room ?

I'm just over thinking, worse case scenarios.

I know that in an emergency it would be our local midland hospitals that we would be attending which are fully covered , but access to major dublin hospitals would be great for something major that maybe they can't sort ..

Thanking you again for your help Snowyb,

One confused Smurfet1

Smurfet1,

Yes, Laya Essential Health 300 is worth considering and still ticks all the boxes.
There is good cardiac cover in all private and hi-tech hospitals on this plan + Simply Connect if required - no excess applies to this type of surgery in any hospital.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

For the 14 and 18 year old, yes the 80% restriction only applies to cataract and hip + knee replacement surgery. Cruciate surgery etc would be fully covered in a private or hi-tech hospital.

For the MRI cover, category 1 means that if a consultant refers you for an MRI scan, carried out in a VHI approved out-patient scan centre, it is
fully covered. There is no excess applied and will be paid to Laya directly by the scan centre/hospital.
Category 2 means that if a gp refers you for an MRI scan, there is an excess to pay of 125 per scan but the rest of the cost is covered by the scan
centre/hospital. This category 2 also means that you have to pay upfront for the scan and claim a refund from Laya, less the 125 excess per scan.

The following link from VHI website, shows the full list of VHI approved scan centres for MRI (page 4) and all other types of scans etc.
Your local hospital, Midlands Regional would be fully covered for an MRI if referred by a consultant but would have to be paid for upfront and
reclaimable less 125 excess if referred by a gp. Note; for example the 2 scan centres in Kildare are fully covered for both consultant and gp
referral. You can go to any scan centre/hospital if you want.

https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/MRI_External_Directory_with_Plans.pdf

Regarding single rooms in private hospitals if required for infectious disease/vomiting bug, private hospitals are usually used for elective surgery.
This is booked in advance for a selected date, with a medical assessment carried out a couple of weeks beforehand. In the unlikely event of an
outbreak of a vomiting bug in a private hospital, I would think the onus would be on the hospital to handle it accordingly. Semi-private rooms
are usually 2 or 4 beds, depending on the hospital. Note; Blackrock Clinic Dublin has all single rooms as standard throughout, fully covered on Simply Connect. Otherwise, Laya Simplicity price 1231pa or Laya Control 300 Create price 1079pa would fully cover a private room in all private hospitals as standard, - if it bothers you to that extent. There are other options with VHI or Irish Life but the orthopaedic restrictions would
apply.

Regards, Snowyb

Back