General Irish Life Health Renewal - 2 adults + 2 teenagers.

JohnSp

Hi all,

Not as straightforward a query as some others here so please bear with me.

I work for myself and have a Ltd Co. Until recently my wife worked for a big corporate as a normal PAYE employee and they provided family health insurance as part of her remuneration. It was Irish Life's Be Fit 2 plan and it covered both of us plus our 15 and 19 year old children both of whom are still in full time education.

My wife has left that job and is taking a career break for at least 12 months after which she'll likely change career but find a new employer and remain a PAYE employee.

The Irish Life Health renewal is due at the end of Dec and it's come in at €4,054.

We live in Sandyford so having access to The Beacon and Vincent's Private is and has been a very useful benefit. We're in our early 50's and healthy, both non smokers, keep fit etc.

I'd certainly appreciate tapping the knowledge within this forum to see what better value / more appropriate options might be available to us including whether it would be better/possible for my Ltd Co to provide me with family health insurance rather than paying for it out of tax paid income but perhaps that would just mean paying more tax which would be more or less the same thing.

JohnSp

57 views and no replies, is it safe to assume my query is too complex for discussion here or is it possible there are no better options than renewing with Irish Life for €4,054?

snowyb

Frequent Poster
Hi JohnSp,

There are a few alternative plans to consider at better prices.
Details as follows;

1. Irish Life 4D Health 2; price 1277 per adult; price 314 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private or hi-tech inpatient excess 150 per admission and day case excess 75 per procedure. Good day to day cover included.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1230 per adult; price 302 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private or hi-tech inpatient excess
capped at 150 x 2 per year for all private admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of
50% for consultants, gp, dental etc upto a max of 500 per year. (50% of 1000 = 500).

3. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1240 per adult; price 311 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private or hi-tech inpatient excess capped at 150 x 1 per year for all private admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, upto a max of 1000 allowable expenses per year per person.
NOTE; Price for a 19 year old is 418pa which is best price for a young adult. VHI are most competitive on price for young adults and children.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE0MjgsMTUyMiwxMjczLDE0MDldLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The Be-Fit 2 plan fully covers a private room in a private hospital, so the following links show a few alternative equivalent options.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE1MTcsMTM1OSwxNDI4LDE1MDRdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzE0OTUsMTQyOF0sInBsYW5zIjp7ImRhdGEiOltdLCJsb2FkaW5nIjp0cnVlfSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZERhdGEiOltdLCJhcHBsaWNhdGlvbiI6eyJ0b2dnbGVfc2Nyb2xsTG9jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Regarding providing health insurance through your limited company, I am not qualified to comment or advise on this matter. It would be covered under
the 'Tax' forum. You could post a new thread relating to this query. There may be other posters here who could enlighten on this subject.

Regards, Snowyb

snowyb

Frequent Poster
I forgot to mentiion that VHI are the only provider to allow children to be insured on their own, without an adult on the policy.
So if you want, the adults can be with a different company altogether. Also, you can choose different plans as adults, if it suits your
individual medical needs.