Irish Independent website. This sums up the dumbing down of the media for sure

RMCF

I know that the net is full of useless video clips and it has made YouTube a global success, but I was shocked to see this clip on the Independent's website.

http://www.independent.ie/video/video-have-you-seen/cheerleader-gets-kicked-in-the-face-3116466.html

I was flicking around their website and was clicking on a few video links. Finally clicked on this one, and could not believe that this warranted a post on a supposedly reputable website.

Bad enough that its a lie (she doesn't actually go anywhere near her face) but is this really what constitutes something of interest for net surfers?

There would be millions of examples of this every single day up and down every single country of the world. Why should this make it on to the net?

I despair.

Newspapers are full of fluff pieces.

So is radio and TV.

In fact bewteen fluff pieces, openion pieces and entertainment news - we don't get much news in newspapers anymore.

I know that the net is full of useless video clips and it has made YouTube a global success, but I was shocked to see this clip on the Independent's website.

http://www.independent.ie/video/video-have-you-seen/cheerleader-gets-kicked-in-the-face-3116466.html

I was flicking around their website and was clicking on a few video links. Finally clicked on this one, and could not believe that this warranted a post on a supposedly reputable website.

Bad enough that its a lie (she doesn't actually go anywhere near her face) but is this really what constitutes something of interest for net surfers?

There would be millions of examples of this every single day up and down every single country of the world. Why should this make it on to the net?

I despair.

Agreed +1 - There seems to have been a very conscious effort in the indo in the last 12 months to go down this route..very sad really!

National newspapers pander to their demographic. The Examiner claims to be a national paper, but is still giving more space to stories from Cork and Munster.

The Irish Times has, IMHO, come down on the side of parents in the debate about the pranks of 6th year students in south Dublin schools, some of which are fee-paying. Similarly their property supplement.

The Independent fears losing readers to the tabloids, so they accomodate celebrity and PR company fed fluff.

What in peoples opinion is the most objective Newspaper in Ireland.

Which one generally just reports the news instead of providing biased opinions.

To anyone with a Tablet PC (iPad or Android) install 'Pulse' and you can then have a selection of the best publications and news/sport/tech/comedy/media sites in one spot.
Al Jazeera, NYT, The Atlantic, Sky, Wired. ESPN etc.

It's my one-stop-shop for the main issues of the day and you can click through the articles to go to the newspaper/magazine home site also.

Sad think is that you probably earned them a few quid through advertising plays by posting the link.

Back