Irish Income Tax Living abroad

marillion

I am Irish living abroad- not in the EU- since summer 2010. Was a PAYE worker until then in Ireland. Just in the process of completing my tax return 2010 Form 11 on line. I assume I will get the benifit of split tax year? Do I need to formally ask the revenue for same?

Secondly, I have not been working for any of 2011, but have a rental income property in Ireland and some investment income ( UK dividends) paid into an Irish bank account.
Can I return my Form 11 for 2011 as normal and state those incomes?
Will I be entitled to a tax credit? Med allowance, tuition fees allowance?
Do I become a non resident for 2011 for Irish tax purposes?
Is there anything else that I am entitled to for either year?

It is likely that I will be away for another year at least until early 2013-is there any way that I will not be liable for income tax on the rental income or the dividends?

If you remain out of Ireland long enough to break tax residence, then you will be entitled to split year treatment in 2010.

As a non-resident individual, you need to appoint a Revenue collections agent, otherwise your tenant or estate agent should withhold tax at basic rate on your gross rental income.

As a non-resident you would not be taxable in Ireland on your UK dividends.

As a non-resident you are only entitled to your personal tax credits in proportion the your Irish taxable income over your worldwide income.

You should really take professional advice in this regard.

www.taxingtimes.ie

Thanks Domo for your advice.
I will be non resident for tax, but ordinarly resident, is now my understanding.

I also saw somewhere that my UK dividends are subject to Irish tax because I will have remitted them into the Irish juristiction.

Is this how you see it?

If you are non-resident in Ireland, but ordinarily resident, you are only taxable on foreign income (excluding foreign employment, trade or profession) if your other foreign income exceeds €3,810.

Remittance is only relevant if you are resident.

www.taxingtimes.ie

Back