Irish girl with non eu national...

pAnTs

Hi I'm an Irish citizen who is expecting a baby with a non-EU national, my boyfriend is on a student visa, can he stay in Ireland once the baby is born and if yes what rights does he have with regards to studying, working etc? Thanks

When is his student visa up? Does he intend to continue his studies here. He will not be able to stay just because you have had a child with him, He may be able to stay on a stamp 3 but can you support him financially? I would ensure that you keep everything above board so there is no chance of him being deported or refused entry in the future if he leaves and tries to re-enter (if he over stays or works when he shouldn't).
Check out http://www.inis.gov.ie/

There is no automatic entitlement, but he can apply for a Stamp 4 on the basis of being in a de facto relationship with an Irish citizen. This would allow him to stay and work or study (although he would not be entitled to any grant assistance). Details are on the link posted above.

thanks for your replies, ive posted on that other forum but if you knew the answer to whether he could study without the hugs costs of a non EU Citizen, that would be great, thanks

Even the right to residency doesn't confer the benefits of EU student fees status. Without citizenship of an EU country there is little that can be done. One of my postgrad classmates was non EU and married to a German woman here but still had to pay non EU fees.

Back