Irish Ferries or Stena Line to U.K.

Odea

We are thinking of heading toward Devon next year and bringing our car. Which is the best route to take. Rosslare/Pembroke with Irish Ferries or Rosslare/Fishguard with Stena Line. Both are priced the same.

I use Stena for the use of the Club lounge, priority disembarking etc. although I think Irish Ferries have the same now?

The fishguard road is slightly better, and less windy than the Pembroke, so a bit easier to get past lorries etc. when coming off the ferry.

I use Stena every time. The interior of the boat is much nicer. The children love the softplay and movies. As we travel 4+ times a year we get free lounge access. Irish ferries lounge is a complete rip off and waste of money, Stena's lounge is an oasis of calm.(Unlike the softplay area!)
The most important reason I pick Stena instead of Irish Ferries is down to Irish Ferries treatment of it's staff in 2005. They sacked all their Irish and UK staff and replaced them with cheaper eastern european staff. Irish Ferries staff seem very unfriendly and surly, Stena Staff seem better turned out and offer better customer service. The roads from Pembroke and Fishguard to the dual carraigeway at St Clears, Carmartheshire are equally bad! Pembroke is a little closer.

On the map it looks as if Pembroke is closer to the end destination rather than Fishguard. Do you end up driving from Fishguard to Pembroke anyhow?

Pembroke is a little closer, but i find the road is not as wide, less oppurtunity to get past slow cars / lorries etc.

Also agree with Manshay's comments regarding interiors - club lounge is a good place to recharge the batteries (I will often drive for a few more hours on the other side) and get some much needed shut eye.

I prefer Stena's boats but never purchase the lounge or priority boarding/disembarking.

Back