Irish drink on average 150 bottles of wine a year?

Highest rate of alcoholics where? In the EU? In the world? Do you have a source for this statistic?

The figures are from Epidemiological and Vital Statistics Report, XI, No. 4 (Geneva: World Health Organization, 1958), 136-38.

I'd be very curious as to how "alcoholism" is defined and how its incidence is measured in this context.
An "alcoholic" is a person that drinks more than you, hic
As in 'a speeding motorist is someone driving faster than you'.;)

As Clubman pointed out that report is talking about equivalent amounts of alcohol - I had assumed that the report was saying 150 actual bottles per year.

Also, I wonder if the drinking statistics are broken down by demographics and age anywhere - I know I drank a lot more in my 20's than I do now

The beer equivalent mentioned is 600 pints a year: 11.5 pints a week.

Not a huge amount I would have thought?

why do you type teh instead of the ????????

anyway 3 bottles a week is excessive, it has to be wrong!

The beer equivalent mentioned is 600 pints a year: 11.5 pints a week.

Not a huge amount I would have thought?

I would definitely class this as excessive, I know people are saying 'if you divided it out, its not many drinks a day, a moderate amount is healthy in your diet etc...' - but to me 11.5 pints a week IS excessive no matter what way its divided up - its either a couple of binges (not good) or some alcohol practically every day, which IMO is not good either.

Let's call it 12 pints - 4 nights of 3 for example - is that really that bad? I guess we're not going to agree on this. ;)

Maybe it is a bit too much but if you are going by HSE/WHO standards etc, their figures will be necessarily conservative/aspirational.

There are plenty of other guidelines that they suggest but do people actually adhere to them?
e.g. 5 portions of fruit/veg. a day? oily fish twice a week? etc etc I'm sure for example that many or even most people exceed their RDA of sodium regularly.

As it happens, I made a point of recording my alcohol intake for the last week - here goes:

Fri - 5 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Sat - 0
Sun - 3 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Mon - 1 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Tue - 0
Wed - 0
Thurs - i.e. tonight, I'm going to have a few cans - probably 4.

The above would be typical enough for me and would actually fit almost exactly with the average weekly intake of 11.5 pints.

(BTW, I have a very good diet, exercise regularly & have full medical once a year - doctor advised me on my last visit that I have the "biological age" of someone 10 years younger ;))

I drink more now (in my 30’s) than I did in my 20’s.
At a guess I average two bottles of wine and 5 pints of beer a week.
I eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, I eat lots of fish (oily as well as white and shell), get a moderate amount of exercise etc (I cycle to the pub :D) and I don’t binge drink.

I think that some non-drinkers get a bit shrill about this topic.

I drink more now (in my 30’s) than I did in my 20’s.
At a guess I average two bottles of wine and 5 pints of beer a week.
I eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, I eat lots of fish (oily as well as white and shell), get a moderate amount of exercise etc (I cycle to the pub :D) and I don’t binge drink.

I think that some non-drinkers get a bit shrill about this topic.

Cycling back must be great craic;). I like a drink but probably don't drink 12 pints a week, every week. But over the course of a year I would come close to 600 pints. At €4.50 a pint, thats a massive €2700.....wow!

Purple, Caveat got away with it cause he was able to say:

BTW, I have a very good diet, exercise regularly & have full medical once a year - doctor advised me on my last visit that I have the "biological age" of someone 10 years younger ;))

What's your excuse?;)

Let's call it 12 pints - 4 nights of 3 for example - is that really that bad? I guess we're not going to agree on this. ;)

Maybe it is a bit too much but if you are going by HSE/WHO standards etc, their figures will be necessarily conservative/aspirational.

There are plenty of other guidelines that they suggest but do people actually adhere to them?
e.g. 5 portions of fruit/veg. a day? oily fish twice a week? etc etc I'm sure for example that many or even most people exceed their RDA of sodium regularly.

As it happens, I made a point of recording my alcohol intake for the last week - here goes:

Fri - 5 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Sat - 0
Sun - 3 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Mon - 1 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Tue - 0
Wed - 0
Thurs - i.e. tonight, I'm going to have a few cans - probably 4.

The above would be typical enough for me and would actually fit almost exactly with the average weekly intake of 11.5 pints.

(BTW, I have a very good diet, exercise regularly & have full medical once a year - doctor advised me on my last visit that I have the "biological age" of someone 10 years younger ;))

And how would the head be on a Friday in work after 4 cans on a Thursday night? Id be wrecked if it were me, I couldnt do it, Id die for the day.

As it happens, I didn't actually have a drink last Thursday in the end.

But having 3 or 4 when I have work the next day isn't unusual for me and it's never been a problem.

As it happens, I didn't actually have a drink last Thursday in the end.

But having 3 or 4 when I have work the next day isn't unusual for me and it's never been a problem.
To me that seems excessive because Id be dying the next day. My limit would be 2 if Id work the next day - any more than 2 and Id be paying for it. My tolerance seems to be reducing dramatically with age.

Back