Irish drink on average 150 bottles of wine a year?

Highest rate of alcoholics where? In the EU? In the world? Do you have a source for this statistic?

The figures are from Epidemiological and Vital Statistics Report, XI, No. 4 (Geneva: World Health Organization, 1958), 136-38.

I'd be very curious as to how "alcoholism" is defined and how its incidence is measured in this context.
An "alcoholic" is a person that drinks more than you, hic
As in 'a speeding motorist is someone driving faster than you'.

As Clubman pointed out that report is talking about equivalent amounts of alcohol - I had assumed that the report was saying 150 actual bottles per year.

Also, I wonder if the drinking statistics are broken down by demographics and age anywhere - I know I drank a lot more in my 20's than I do now

The beer equivalent mentioned is 600 pints a year: 11.5 pints a week.

Not a huge amount I would have thought?

why do you type teh instead of the ????????

anyway 3 bottles a week is excessive, it has to be wrong!

The beer equivalent mentioned is 600 pints a year: 11.5 pints a week.

Not a huge amount I would have thought?

I would definitely class this as excessive, I know people are saying 'if you divided it out, its not many drinks a day, a moderate amount is healthy in your diet etc...' - but to me 11.5 pints a week IS excessive no matter what way its divided up - its either a couple of binges (not good) or some alcohol practically every day, which IMO is not good either.

Let's call it 12 pints - 4 nights of 3 for example - is that really that bad? I guess we're not going to agree on this.

Maybe it is a bit too much but if you are going by HSE/WHO standards etc, their figures will be necessarily conservative/aspirational.

There are plenty of other guidelines that they suggest but do people actually adhere to them?
e.g. 5 portions of fruit/veg. a day? oily fish twice a week? etc etc I'm sure for example that many or even most people exceed their RDA of sodium regularly.

As it happens, I made a point of recording my alcohol intake for the last week - here goes:

Fri - 5 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Sat - 0
Sun - 3 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Mon - 1 x 500ml cans of 4.8% beer
Tue - 0
Wed - 0
Thurs - i.e. tonight, I'm going to have a few cans - probably 4.

The above would be typical enough for me and would actually fit almost exactly with the average weekly intake of 11.5 pints.

(BTW, I have a very good diet, exercise regularly & have full medical once a year - doctor advised me on my last visit that I have the "biological age" of someone 10 years younger )

I drink more now (in my 30’s) than I did in my 20’s.
At a guess I average two bottles of wine and 5 pints of beer a week.
I eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, I eat lots of fish (oily as well as white and shell), get a moderate amount of exercise etc (I cycle to the pub ) and I don’t binge drink.

I think that some non-drinkers get a bit shrill about this topic.

Cycling back must be great craic. I like a drink but probably don't drink 12 pints a week, every week. But over the course of a year I would come close to 600 pints. At €4.50 a pint, thats a massive €2700.....wow!

Purple, Caveat got away with it cause he was able to say:

BTW, I have a very good diet, exercise regularly & have full medical once a year - doctor advised me on my last visit that I have the "biological age" of someone 10 years younger )

What's your excuse?

And how would the head be on a Friday in work after 4 cans on a Thursday night? Id be wrecked if it were me, I couldnt do it, Id die for the day.

As it happens, I didn't actually have a drink last Thursday in the end.

But having 3 or 4 when I have work the next day isn't unusual for me and it's never been a problem.

As it happens, I didn't actually have a drink last Thursday in the end.

But having 3 or 4 when I have work the next day isn't unusual for me and it's never been a problem.
To me that seems excessive because Id be dying the next day. My limit would be 2 if Id work the next day - any more than 2 and Id be paying for it. My tolerance seems to be reducing dramatically with age.