Irish Contributory pension - query UK contributions

johnkerry

hello,

I have an entitlement to a UK State pension - bought 12 additional years bring me to 15 years in total.

I also have 15 years A1 Irish Contributions + 20 D1 Irish Contributions (public sector), entitling me to a Irish state contributory state pension, calculated by reference to contribution mix average.

My query: can I combine the UK pension years with my Irish record, to improve the contribution mix average? If so, is the 3 years I actually worked or the 15 I have on record?

thanks

john

If I've understood the query correctly, you can't use a single contribution twice.
But as you're entitled to claim from each state individually, Ireland will pay you using solely your Irish state contributions record, and the UK will pay you using your UK contributions record.

Not true- both will make another calculation using EU pension rules and, if this results in a larger pension, they will pay you this larger amount.

However, in the actual case described, it is unlikely that the EU rules will improve the pensions based on your country contributions but maybe they will

Not true- both will make another calculation using EU pension rules and, if this results in a larger pension, they will pay you this larger amount.

However, in the actual case described, it is unlikely that the EU rules will improve the pensions based on your country contributions but maybe they will

It sounded to me - in the actual case described - that the query was if he could use his 15 UK years to increase his Irish record (which would take him over the 48 yearly average currently needed for a full Irish pension). This I believe would fall foul of the overlapping rules as he would simultaneously be using those 15 years to claim a UK pension. Apologies if I have misunderstood.

You have a choice:
- claim two smaller pensions , one from the UK and a reduced pension from your Irish record, or
- you can seek to add your UK record to your Irish record to perhaps get the full State Pension.
If you want to add your UK record to your Irish record you need to advice the SW Records Office in Buncrana at least 6 months before claiming your State Pension so that they can liaise with the Dept of Work and Pensions in Newcastle to verify your UK record.
But you cannot use the UK record twice.

If I buy back UK pension years, even though I left the UK, and am paying for an ROI stamp for the SAME years, will I be entitled to a full Irish and UK pension?

Yes - each country will first assess your pension entitlements based on their individual record - so if you qualify for a full Irish pension based on your Irish contributions, you will get it. If you are entitled to a full UK pension because of the buy backs, then yes, the UK will pay you whatever is due.

Back