Ipod

V

veron01

Hi all,

I am going to the states on Fri and want to buy an Ipod over there.

Do I need to buy any cables etc. to convert the power supply?

I'm not very technical and don't know that much about Ipod's so I would appreciate any help on power supply problems, or the best one to get.

Thanks.

V.

Do I need to buy any cables etc. to convert the power supply?

Doesn't look like it - other than a US to Irish travel adaptor plug or course, like [broken link removed] for example.

Check out the Apple Store website for information on different iPod models. www.apple.com - it's pretty comprehensive.

Imogen

Ipod Battery

Good for you veron,
A friend of mine is coming home from states so i am getting him to bring me one. On a related question, how much of a pain in the behind is it to change the battery when (like every portable device) it goes dodgy after a year or two?
Cheers, Roy

Re: Ipod Battery

It used to be the case that it cost something like US$99 and you had to send the iPod to Apple to have the battery replaced. I think something along the same lines still applies. There are [broken link removed] available but they may void your warranty or risk damage to the device. I presume that Apple have sorted out the original battery defect (i.e. stopped charging after only a few months) from a couple of years back? The whole battery replacement cost/hassle seems to be one significant disadvantage of the iPod compared to other comparable MP3 players. I'm sure that you'll find loads more on it via Google and on the myriad Apple blog/discussion forum sites out there.

IPOD?

Hey,
Anyone thinking of buying an ipod tsake note:
Go to www.wallmart, electronics, MP3s. Sort by highest selling. Its a Creative Nomad. Advantages over ipod: 30GB, removable battery, handles data as well as audio, so you got a 30Gb hard drive in your pocket and best of all $174 compared to $299 for 20 Gb ipod. The reason i was going the ipod route was for the FM transmitter, but i now discover you can get a transmitter for this baby for $30 approx. The only advantage the ipod has is that its a bit cooler, but not $125 cooler for less spec.

Re: IPOD?

Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB - reviewed on [broken link removed]

Summary:

At a glance
Editors' rating: 7.7 Good
User rating: 85% 15% from 136 users

The good: USB 2.0/1.1 compatible; 30GB capacity; larger screen; user-replaceable battery; relatively inexpensive.
The bad: No FM or recording; case pops open too easily; still slightly too large for comfortable pocketing.
The bottom line: A larger screen and improved file-transfer capabilities make the remixed Zen Xtra more appealing than its older sibling, the Zen NX.

Also, doesn't support FireWire or Apple Macs.

"The bad: No FM or recording; case pops open too easily; still slightly too large"

Does anyone know if the iPod has a recording function?

Yup, but you need an ad-on from Belkin available at the AppleStore. Costs about 20-30€ but works very well.

iPod also handles data as well as music, so that's no advantage for the Nomad.

Back