iPod - duplicate artist file names - why?

elefantfresh

This is driving me demented. Why oh why do i have band names listed more than once under artist? Its not a spelling difference. I have x amount of mp3's on my pc. I installed iTunes and then clicked sync with the iPod plugged in. On my pc I have for example a U2 folder. Only 1 U2 folder in which I have 7 or 8 albums but now on my iPod i have 3 or 4 listings for U2 under the artist option. This is happening with a number of bands. A way I got around this was by making a play list called U2 and putting all the U2 albums in here but surely i don't need to do this for all of them do I? I guess maybe i'm just too stupid to have an iPod.

In iTunes when you browse the artists in the browser at the top of the screen, is U2 listed 3/4 times? If it is then it's possible that you have one set as U2, a second set as U2space, and a third one with U2spacespace (if you know what I mean). The best thing to do is to select the 3/4 U2s in iTunes, and select edit info - then in the artist name put in U2.

This is driving me demented. Why oh why do i have band names listed more than once under artist? Its not a spelling difference. I have x amount of mp3's on my pc. I installed iTunes and then clicked sync with the iPod plugged in. On my pc I have for example a U2 folder. Only 1 U2 folder in which I have 7 or 8 albums but now on my iPod i have 3 or 4 listings for U2 under the artist option. This is happening with a number of bands. A way I got around this was by making a play list called U2 and putting all the U2 albums in here but surely i don't need to do this for all of them do I? I guess maybe i'm just too stupid to have an iPod.

Check the ID3 tags (Get Info on each track) - you might find that some tracks are listed with guest artists e.g. "U2 & Green Day" under the Artist tag. This will cause separate listings for "U2" and "U2/Green Day" when browsing by Artist.

The way to fix this is to use the Album Artist tag - select an entire U2 album in iTunes, right-click, click Get Info, and enter "U2" in Album Artist.

Also, check the Sort Name and Sort Artist fields - enter the same Sort Artist for each U2 track as U2 and you should be ok.

Not sure if this is a bug in iTunes or a problem as Rebelman says with spaces creeping in after names.

See . Scroll down and read the comments as well as the article.

Back