Iphone locking question

moe1013

Managed to lose my 3G iphone (argghhh!!!) and was trying to figure out the most cost effective replacement.

I reckon if my wife signs up for a new one on O2 my replacement sim card will work on it as it is an O2 iphone sim card. Am I right in thinking the sim is locked to the network and not the individual phone? I would then get her old phone unlocked to take the new sim card from the new iphone...

Anybody think this will work? any other ideas out there for me?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Correct the sim is locked to the individual network. (ie O2 ireland)
I'm a bit confused as to what your asking becuase you are not mentioning any other networks. If both sims & both phones are O2 no unlocking would be needed.
If however you want to use iPhone on another network see this article.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to switch my wife to O2 with an iphone but putting her new sim card back into her old phone (which i'll have to unlock). I'll put my o2 sim into the iphone...if the sims are locked only to the network (not the handset) this should work no?

One of my friends got an iPhone 3G on prepay, then just put in his pre-existing pay monthly sim card, so he wouldn't need to pay the overpriced iPhone specific tariffs, so not sure about there being an iphone specific sim card - maybe a 3G one?

Back