iPhone as replacement for Nokia E61i

LDFerguson

Thinking of finally breaking my long run with Nokia phones and going for the iPhone. I have some queries: -

(1) I know my contacts can be transferred over to the iPhone, via Outlook or Outlook Express. Can calendar entries be transferred similarly? I have a lot of annual birthday reminders set up.

(2) I have a professionally-installed car-kit for the Nokia - wired through the speakers, turns off the radio when a call comes in etc. Also charges the phone. Different connector on iPhone and Nokia. Is this a case of simply getting a new connector or adaptor or will the whole car-kit have to be replaced?

(3) As far as I can tell, the iPhone device can handle Blackberry-style push e-mail, but I can't see this as a service on O2's website. Do O2 offer push e-mail for the iPhone?

(4) Currently with Vodafone, who offer 300 free web-texts per month (i.e. send an SMS text from your PC via their website which looks like it came from your phone, when the receiver gets it.) Can't see this on the O2 website. Do O2 offer this for bill-pay customers?

Thanks in advance.

Having tried the iPhone I would highly recommend you sticking with Nokia.
The iPhone is a gadget pure & simple. It will never be a business tool.
If you are upgrading your E61 look at the E71 , a few more featurea & much smaller & lighter. Or go for the N97 (Unfortunatly not available on Voadfone Ireland at the moment) Nokias ultimate phone with everything . With a full keyboard it is a great business phone & the web browser is much faster than either the E61 E71 or the iPhone.

Thanks for the reply.

After some years I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a "business" phone. Although the E61i has pseudo Excel & Word I never used them. Phone mostly used for sending and receiving e-mail & SMS texts, taking photos, occasional web browsing and...er...phoning people.

What put me off the N97 was that my collection of songs purchased via iTunes cannot be downloaded onto it.

Already have an iPod. As existing phone needs to be replaced anyway, might as well get a phone that replaces two devices. Mrs. F. can continue to use the iPod.

Thanks for the reply.

After some years I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need a "business" phone. Although the E61i has pseudo Excel & Word I never used them. Phone mostly used for sending and receiving e-mail & SMS texts, taking photos, occasional web browsing and...er...phoning people.

What put me off the N97 was that my collection of songs purchased via iTunes cannot be downloaded onto it.

Have you upgraded your purchased songs to Itunes plus (which strips the DRM off them)? It costs 29c a track or I think €3 per album but after you do it you're no longer tied to Apple itunes/ipod to play them. Not sure on the N97 but the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic plays the DRM free AAC files from iTunes.

I'd still personally go for the Iphone if Vodafone had it and plans were more reasonable.

I've had Nokia 'business' phones for the past 3 /4 years (E61 and E61i) and have been looking into exactly the same thing IE replacing with an iPhone. I run my own business and my phone, email and web browsing are essential.

This is what I've discovered

1. I can't use the iPhone (officially) as a modem. THere are hacks Im sure but until 02 Ire officialy support 'thethering' then I will keep the Nokia as I frequently need to use the E61i as a modem for laptop internet while away on business or even during a power cut

2. My Nokia is a great phone but it's over powered even for me. I dont use 99 & of it's office functionality

3. Iphone can handle my POP and IMAP mail and as I've recently switched to mail routed via GMAIL, then this is replacing my Vodafone business email add on

4. iPhone can handle calendars and all that stuff and even my iPod touch can handle reminders, sync outlook events etc. Assume the iPhone is the same

5. Web browsing is MUCH easier with the iphone

6. Anything thats not possible right now will soon be available as an 'App'.

So - apart from tethering, I cant see a good reason to keep the Nokia

Personally I think the calendar is woeful on the iphone. Great on the E71 (E72 on its way)
Vastly better battery life on the E71
Data in 3rd party iphone apps can't aways be backed up.
Bluetooth is much better on the Nokia

In every other way the iPhone is much better.

Web Browser on the N97 is way better than E61/71 or the iPhone.
Installed Opera mobile which is even better & syncronises your favourites with your desktop.

Spoke with brother in law over the week end. He is selfemployed and been a Nokia man since Digicell went on the air. At the time he was an employee of Digicell.

Anyway, after that many years in Nokialand, he somewhat nervously changed to the iPhone in March 2009. 9 months on, he just wonders how he ever got on without it. Would never again go back to a non iPhone device.
He says he is now doing short overseas buiness trips and finding the laptop stays in the bag almost as often as not.
He's got me thinking, and that takes a lot, as I still cling to my 6310i.

Hi Rujib,

I too made the switch from Nokia to iPhone. I won't go back.

Battery life is poor when you're using a lot of features but that seems to be common on iPhones so I presume it'll be improved on future models. Touch screen keyboard can be a bit fiddly making it harder to type text messages while walking, compared with the solid keyboard on the Nokia.

But I'm delighted with everything else.

Back