iPhone and internet access

M

MarySmyth

Was on holidays recently and accessed internet via free hotel wifi- but bill is now very high for downloads. I am confused! Can anyone explain how it all works... thanks

did you have your data roaming turned on? Have you a smart phone? You probably have it set to synch in the background and push notifications through, things you wouldn't think of such as the weather app on a htc front screen, etc.

When travelling abroad I always turn off Data Roaming and Cellular Data. You can find these in Settings>General>Network. This will ensure that your phone will only use WiFi for data.

Was on holidays recently and accessed internet via free hotel wifi- but bill is now very high for downloads. I am confused! Can anyone explain how it all works... thanks

Even though there was wifi, you must have been accessing web content using 3G. The details are on the top left of your phone screen. 3G or E means you're paying for it.

Wifi on mobile

yes- perhaps that is right

How do I access in future for free? or is this possible?

many thanks

yes- perhaps that is right

How do I access in future for free? or is this possible?

Switch off data roaming in your iPhone's settings before you leave Ireland or as soon as you arrive.

This is the data that is sent via the foreign network operator, and costs a small fortune.

I have data roaming permanently switched off never been caught yet.
It doesn't effect anything while you are in your home network.

I was very concious of this after a few friends got caught with big bills.

Back