ipad2 or samsung?

G

Gutter

I would like to buy a tablet computer, which would you recommend? ipad or samsung.

At the moment it's still going to have to be the iPad for tablets. The best competitor is really the HP.

Most of the others have been rushed or just directly ripped off the iPad in order Yo compete, the HP has had a proper development process and should give apple a run for their money if it's marketed well.

Probably wait a year or so for other competitors to really develop tablets, so if you don't want to wait that long: iPad.

The guy who reviews gadgets for George Hook on Newstalk is very enthusiastic about the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Apart from brand loyalty, the availability of apps for the Android platform is not yet comparable to those for apple devices.

CNET is one good place for product reviews. I assume there's no-one on AAM who has first-hand hands-on experience of using both the iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I haven't used either yet (still joyfully playing with my 1st gen iPad), but what would you primarily be using the tablet for?

The iPad is great for movies, music, web browsing, email, and reading. And outdoors it's makes a brilliant mirror :). Presumably the Galaxy does the same, but the iPad would have a significant advantage in terms of apps. Also, the iPad has more options in terms of memory size (up to 64GB if you're willing to pay) whereas the Galaxy is just 16GB I think.

On the other hand, the Galaxy has a USB port, making it more accesible in terms of file sharing. With the iPad, you can only download files over the web or by syncing with your laptop/desktop. That isn't as much of an issue for me as I thought it would be, but another drawback is that the iPad can only be "slaved" to one computer at a time, i.e. it will only sync with one designated computer, so you won't be able to use it with both your home computer and your work computer.

There are a few new "tablets" coming out mid 2011, to rival those already on the market... All depends on your budget & what you are looking to do with it...
Most of the speed of these are similar 1.0GHz to 1.5Ghz, so check for storage / apps / compatibility with other devices (connectivity) / battery life... don't write off the android based tabs due to number of apps... they are increasing everyday...

Tabs I know of - iPad2, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1, HTC Flyer, Motorola XOOM. Blackberry Playbook... as mentioned above, CNET is great for reviews... but google around & check out the users forums... owners are very honest when it comes to reviewing their use of these...

You can get a an iPad first gen for around 300 euro used or 379 new, they are super machines, rock solid build quality and just plain work well all the time. I messed around with a few different ones before realising that the iPad is by far and away the best of the bunch and will last for the long haul and never gives problems.
100% recommend it, top quality device, I was never an Apple person but since I have been using the iPad I have come to respect the quality of their products, they are not cheap but you get your value & great service out of them and they have a great sell on value if you look after them and keep them in good condition.

Back