Invoice standards for Limited Company

DirtyH2O

Where can I find information about the mandatory standards in format\layout for limited company invoices. I had hoped to use the invoice generated from the very basic accounting package I am using but it does not allow much customization so Iwill have to produce some kind of word template instead.

it can be very basic, i just use a A4 sheet
with my name my company name, company address, my vat number, the name of company im invoicing and their address. then the amount , the amount of vat and the total.
This is perfect for faxing you might need to use heavier paper if you are passing by hand and if you are using a lot of them.

My Name

My company Name

My address

INVOICE

To Company Date: 30-08-2006
Inv No : 7
Vat No: xxxxxxxx

Please pay for the services provided during the period xxxxx 2006.

Rate

Vat @21%

Total

Thanks for the sample. I was lead to understand that I should use headed paper and must include my companies addres,s phone, list of directors, reg number and vat number.

well ive been using the above for 3 yrs and never had a prob. obviously you can go fancier depends what kind of business your in. as long as both addresses and your vat number are there i think thats sufficient.
i do IT contracting so it not really important maybe if you need to make a better impression you could jazz up the style a bit.

You will find the requirements on this CRO [broken link removed] - It's a PDF.

I am surprised to learn that an invoice does not have to show the registered number and the list of directors. I had thought that this was a requirement. But it makes sense that an order should have to show them.

What can you do if someone writes a letter to you from their company and it does not disclose there details? What are the fines/punishment applicable to these ommissions.

You should refer them to the Companies Office and to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement.

Thanks Brendan,

That was exactly what I was looking for. A company I am dealing with wants these details included in all invoices I send them but indicated that it was mandatory information for all invoices from limited companies. I googled and found quite a few more companies that are trying to dictate the format of invoices they recieve. I had wondered if this would apply to purchases from Dell or other large companies or if it was just slighly oppressive behaviour towards smaller companies. It is a little bit of hassle a I had hoped to issue invoices automatically from my accounting package but this will not meet their standards. Am very tempted to use the template anyway.