Invoice standards for Limited Company

DirtyH2O

Where can I find information about the mandatory standards in format\layout for limited company invoices. I had hoped to use the invoice generated from the very basic accounting package I am using but it does not allow much customization so Iwill have to produce some kind of word template instead.

it can be very basic, i just use a A4 sheet
with my name my company name, company address, my vat number, the name of company im invoicing and their address. then the amount , the amount of vat and the total.
This is perfect for faxing you might need to use heavier paper if you are passing by hand and if you are using a lot of them.

My Name

My company Name

My address

INVOICE

To Company Date: 30-08-2006
Inv No : 7
Vat No: xxxxxxxx

Please pay for the services provided during the period xxxxx 2006.

Rate

Vat @21%

Total

Thanks for the sample. I was lead to understand that I should use headed paper and must include my companies addres,s phone, list of directors, reg number and vat number.

well ive been using the above for 3 yrs and never had a prob. obviously you can go fancier depends what kind of business your in. as long as both addresses and your vat number are there i think thats sufficient.
i do IT contracting so it not really important maybe if you need to make a better impression you could jazz up the style a bit.

You will find the requirements on this CRO [broken link removed] - It's a PDF.

I am surprised to learn that an invoice does not have to show the registered number and the list of directors. I had thought that this was a requirement. But it makes sense that an order should have to show them.

1.2. The company name in legible characters must be shown in all notices and other official publications of the company and in all bills of exchange, promissory notes, endorsements, cheques and orders purporting to be signed by or on behalf of the company and in all invoices, receipts and
letters of credit of the company.

1.3. The following particulars must be shown on all business letters of a company
(a) The full name of the company (note that the only permissible abbreviations are “Ltd” for “Limited”, “Teo” for “Teoranta”, “Plc” for “Public Limited Company”, etc).
(b) The forename (or initials) and surnames and any former forenames and surnames of the directors and their nationality, if not Irish

1.4.2 The following additional particulars must be shown on letters and are also required to appear on order forms of limited liability companies :
(a) place of registration e.g. Registered in Dublin, Ireland
(b) registered number i.e. as per the company’s Certificate of Incorporation
(c) address of the registered office (where this is already shown on the document, the fact that it is the registered office must be indicated)

The particulars at 1.4 above apply only to business letters and order forms, and do not need to be included on delivery notes or invoices.

What can you do if someone writes a letter to you from their company and it does not disclose there details? What are the fines/punishment applicable to these ommissions.

Thanks Brendan,

That was exactly what I was looking for. A company I am dealing with wants these details included in all invoices I send them but indicated that it was mandatory information for all invoices from limited companies. I googled and found quite a few more companies that are trying to dictate the format of invoices they recieve. I had wondered if this would apply to purchases from Dell or other large companies or if it was just slighly oppressive behaviour towards smaller companies. It is a little bit of hassle a I had hoped to issue invoices automatically from my accounting package but this will not meet their standards. Am very tempted to use the template anyway.

Back