Invoice issued by business looking for payment without service provided

NicolaM

I just got an invoice this morning from a company we use.
The invoice was for several hundred of euros, 30 day term, to be paid at the end of this month. There was a delivery number, delivery address, and details of what was delivered.
However, I had ordered nothing from them.
When my secretary phoned the company, she was told the invoice was for a maintenance contract (which we had neither signed up for, nor received)
During the call, she was told the invoice "price" was a special offer, and the price would increase soon ie sign up now or miss out.

It appears the company are using an actual false invoice to get customers to contact them to query it, when they then start on a sales blurb.

In addition, I can see how many companies would pay this "invoice" in error, thinking it was owed.

This is a legitimate company that we have dealt with before.

This to me appears fraudulent business practice.
I contacted the consumer protection comission who said they could do nothing about this, and to seek legal advice.
I have contacted the NSAI to see if they can advise.

Is there any other regulatory authority would could give guidance on this that I could contact?

Last edited:
Would the gardai be interested? The company are obviously aware that they sent in the invoice despite it not being justified, which sounds remarkably like fraud.

Is there any other company that provides a similar service. I know if a business tried that with me and I had any alternative, I'd have a short conversation explaining how unimpressed I was, and terminate any connection after that. I certainly wouldn't be using them again unless there was absolutely no other option. It seems a bizarre way of doing business.

There was a delivery number, delivery address, and details of what was delivered.

That is pure fraud.

I would not be dealing with such a company.

You should notify the MD of this immediately, just in case it's someone going off on a solo run. It's also possible that it is designed to load income into their accounts before the year end.

Brendan

I would just ignore it. If they go to court for debt collection, I understand, they will have to provide a copy of the signed contract with the price specified. I assume that they will need to provide evidence of delivery.

Please note I'm not a solicitor but have had to sue people for money before and that was the process. This is what I would do. Best of luck

I would just ignore it. If they go to court for debt collection, I understand, they will have to provide a copy of the signed contract with the price specified. I assume that they will need to provide evidence of delivery.

Please note I'm not a solicitor but have had to sue people for money before and that was the process. This is what I would do. Best of luck

You seem to have read this the wrong way. This is not a case of a genuine invoice not having been paid. The company who served the invoice did it knowing it was an invoice for services that they have not provided. There is no fear of them going to court looking for payment.

Excellent news.

Also nice to see the Gardai getting a little good press for a change, gives a little balance to help reflect the fact that they are not all bad etc. :)

Did they give you any details of what the resolution was? Was the company actually prosecuted?

Back