Invoice (3 years later)

eisfspike

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on paying an invoice. 3 years ago we got new doors and windows put in, we received two invoices which were promptly paid and that was that.

Came home today to a letter from the company stating that following on from the previous letter (which we never received) there is an outstanding payment of 600 euro outstanding due and if we don’t pay they will take legal action. Thinking it was a mistake rang them to see and apparently there was another invoice that they forgot to tell us about and are now looking for payment.

I am refusing to pay this as it was from 3 years ago and we were never given the invoice at the time. Any thoughts on this?

Many Thanks

There may be a time limitation for action ( 6 years in the U.K.) but a mistake by one party does not give another party the right to benefit from the mistake.

Pay for the product and service you agreed to at the outset, anything else is playing silly beggars, yes a mistake was made but you got the products, that said I would suggest a cash offer noting the time involved, you might get a deduction that way, that is the honest route to take.

Back