Investment Strategy advice

Shaneoc

Hi all,
Im currently looking for some guidance/advice as to what approach to take when it comes to making some investments. Im considering seeking an independent financial advisor also as I really dont know what best approach to take and currently Im not doing anything ie. leaving my money sitting in a bank account doing nothing. If anyone had a recomendation of one in Dublin, I would appreciate that also.

My current situation: Im 29 years old, recently graduated as went back to University as a mature student, working as a trainee Accountant for the past year earning in the low €30k per year range. I am renting and am currently not saving a penny of my earnings. I feel like I have decent earning potential in the next couple of years with a yearly bonus/salary reviews and hoping to be fully qualified in two years time. Although saying that, the price of living in Dublin means I probably wont be saving from my salary over the next couple of years.

I have ~ €100k in savings mainly from an inheritance that I have sitting in a basic savings account. In the short term, I wont really need this at all but in the medium term, I would be hoping to purchase a house. This is certainly I would say at least 3 years down the line. Now, I did look into opening a Degiro account and investing in a variety of low fee ETF's but as I hold both an Irish and US passport, Im not sure if I can. Im not sure of the ins and outs of what holding a US passport limits me from investing in.

Any advice on what type of investment plan given my situation? Would sitting down with a financial advisor be best?

If you need some\all that money to buy a house within the next 5-10 years then I would not invest it into equities. The timeframe is too short really.

Consider putting some of it into a pension and max out your AVC each year for the next 3-5 years and see then about a house? Put the pension into a fund that is 90% or more in equities.

In the short term, I wont really need this at all but in the medium term, I would be hoping to purchase a house. This is certainly I would say at least 3 years down the line.

Is your intention to work in Dublin for the foreseeable, or are you considering moving out of Dublin - either to a commuter town or down the country? Have you any intention of going international any time soon?
What are you paying in rent? What are your current living arrangements - renting a place on your own or a room in a house etc?

Have you considered the option of using the money to buy a place now (assuming you would get a mortgage), and renting out 1-2 rooms earning you 14k tax free a year? This would go a long way to paying towards a mortgage ...

Agree re not invest in equities as your timeframe is too short!
I would also suggest holding off on the pension until you are either in the high tax bracket or have your house purchased. I don't see the value in maxing out your AVC's when you are only on the standard rate of tax, especially when you will need the money in a few years time !

Just keep it in cash; you sound like you’ll need it soon enough so you cannot take the volatility of markets.

Is your intention to work in Dublin for the foreseeable, or are you considering moving out of Dublin - either to a commuter town or down the country? Have you any intention of going international any time soon?
What are you paying in rent? What are your current living arrangements - renting a place on your own or a room in a house etc?

Have you considered the option of using the money to buy a place now (assuming you would get a mortgage), and renting out 1-2 rooms earning you 14k tax free a year? This would go a long way to paying towards a mortgage ...

Agree re not invest in equities as your timeframe is too short!
I would also suggest holding off on the pension until you are either in the high tax bracket or have your house purchased. I don't see the value in maxing out your AVC's when you are only on the standard rate of tax, especially when you will need the money in a few years time !

Thanks for all the responses.

To answer your question above, really I dont know. In the next 3 years or so, I cant see myself leaving Dublin but after that, I cant say I have a plan. It wont be International anyway but very well could move down the Country. Currently, Im renting a room living with mates paying 700 pm.

The though of buying a house now hadnt really crossed my mind. For one, even with 100k in my pocket, I dont think I would get a large enough mortgage given my salary to get a 3 bedroom house within the M50 so I would have to look at moving out which I dont really want to do currently or look into a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment. Admitatley, I havent researched mortgage limits but I beleive its capped at 3.5 times salary? I think Id rather wait a couple of years and see where I am then both in terms of salary/career opportuntiies and figuring out where I would like to settle down long term.

Going from the responses, It seems my best option may be to keep it in the bank in a short term deposit account and reassess in 12/24 months time.

Back