Investment property in London

S

Summer

I would like to invest in a property in London. Should I get a mortgage in Ireland or England? Has anyone done this?

Thanks
Summer

Can I suggest that before you purchase a property in London that you address the following?

1. What is your target net yield of your proposed investment property.

2. Have you made realistic assumptions in relation to calculating this yield,
you should speak to at least three letting agents to obtain an idea of a realistic monthly rent. You should also ask them to be frank about average void periods. You should have a good grasp of the service charge costs associated with your potential investments (you’ll be paying them)

3. Not only should you consider the present property market in your search area you should also consider any developments in the pipeline, additional supply will have an effect on rents and void periods. Contact the duty planning officer in the Local Authority they will usually give you a brief overview of the development stream.

4. Will your investment decision be influenced by a possible fall in capital values in the medium term? if so act with caution.

5. When you find a property, go and find two more and make lowball offers on all three, (you don’t hit a 180 with one dart) then do a deal with the most compliant vendor, have all the necessary mortgage approval in principal etc. in place at this stage to show vendors and agents that you are a serious punter. Remember that if a vendor is not insulted by your offer you have offered too much. Try to employ some charm in this process explain that you have to make a return that will cover your costs and that you have concerns about the future prospects of the market. In the London market at present vendors are fishing for buyers so its important that you understand the relative strength of your negotiating position.

6. Finally make sure that you undertake enough research to understand what represents value for money in your target market. Don’t assume that agents know, by the way, if they did they’d be property moguls.

Good luck

Dear Unregistered,

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such detail.
The area I am looking at is Ladbrook Grove/ Portabello Road. Rents for a one bedroom are £265+ for a one bed and £285 weekly for a 2 bed. There is really no scope for future development. The asking price for properties are £220,000 to £250,000. Should I apply for a mortgage in euros or in sterling and is there any major advantage of one over the other? Also should I pay tax in England or in Ireland. If I pay income tax in England, would I then be eligable for a state pension in years to come?

When it comes to UK house prices you can gleam some useful info from the net. (if only it were the same here !! )

For example, you may be able to find out what an owner paid for the property you are interested in on http://www.nethouseprices.com

Also you can check how much property prices have been falling (or maybe even rising) in the area you plan to buy into.

For example, I think the area you are interested in is W10 5AS
Prices here have been falling ( ave 5% in the last quarter ). Keep this in mind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/aw.stm

eitherway make sure you're not highly leveraged... general housing prices have falled for the last 10mths in London...

Back