Investment advice

J

jonniealan

Hello,

Before I start I must first tell you that I am a bit lost when it comes to financial matters, only now that I am about to come into some money am I trying to understand investing a bit more.

Anyway I am going to come into some money shortly approx € 200,000
a couple of years ago i know that property would be the safest bet for investing but now, that seems to be much more of a risk now than before.

So really i'm looking for advise in terms of investment. Should I learn how to use the stock market, or see about using the services of a broker or invest overseas.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

You should get independent, professional advice from an authorised advisor or a good multi-agency intermediary who can do a comprehensive fact find and financial review and recommend a range of options that match your specific needs.

My advice would be not to start by trying to anticipate which investment will be "the best", but by analysing your own attitude to investments and seeing which is best 'for you'.

If you are a cautious investor, don't jump in to stocks and shares straight away. Speak to an independent financial adviser (not a bank - when they see large amounts of money coming into your account they'll want to sell you stuff that suits them, and which may not be best for you) and be prepared to pay a fee for the advice, or accept that they will receive commission on the business, or both, but they must disclose this to you and must make recommendations which are appropriate to you, and justify them.

Single property investments and individual share selections are very high risk investments for someone who may be more afraid of an investment downturn than they realise.

Hope this helps

Back