Investing vs Trading

tyler_d

I started buying shares in August. I would buy maybe some shares daily and sell shares maybe every 2 or 3 days. More gotta to do with inexperience and trying to predict the market. By November I was not selling as much but I do find myself topping up on shares I like daily. My accountant told me I just need to be careful that my actions aren't considered trading as that would fall under income tax. Is a certain way to distinguish? I think I sold maybe 5 or 6 shares last month so was surprised that this could be considered trading. Yes I buy more frequently but that's more to dollar cost average.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Your accountant must be incredibly conservative if he thinks Revenue would regard your activities as trading and therefore subject to income tax, particularly if you already have a full-time job.

Your accountant must be incredibly conservative if he thinks Revenue would regard your activities as trading and therefore subject to income tax, particularly if you already have a full-time job.

The advice was correct and just because you have a full-time job does not mean you can't be considered to have income from trading as well.

Back