Investing in ex council house

byron

Hi

Currently living in house in Drimnagh, been here 8 years but am considering whether to extend / refurbish house or buy elsewhere. Bought house for €330k back in the day, it's a standard ex council house with double story extension. I'm trying to decide whether to invest c €120k to €150k in high spec rennovation and adding 4th bedroom and additional reception room. I like the area, great neighbours, its close to town, lots of green space and close to Kilmainham and Rialto villages. Lots of potential for area with canal starting to be redeveloped and new children's hospital potentially being built nearby. My only concern is if I ever sold in the future not sure I'd ever recover the value of the additional investment. Looking for views / opinions ...

It sounds as if you are going to be living there for a long time.

So treat it as your home, rather than as an investment.

It is not usually a good idea to spend such money on a house you will be selling in a year or two. But in your case, you will get use of the "extra house" you are investing in and it will increase the value of the property by something, if not by the full amount.

Brendan

Back