Investec 18month - 6.85%

A good rate (5% clear after DIRT taken off), but for Investec you generally have to have a minimum of €20,000 to put away.

At 4.52% it's a good rate.

But please don't quote it as "6.85%". It's the AER figure that matters. It's bad enough that the banks are allowed to get away with this kind of misleading advertising; we shouldn't encourage them by following their lead.

I think this thread should probably be renamed.

(end of rant)

I got 25.25 from ebs today for 5 years was about to move to ptsb but ebs gave me that rate to stay with them so it pays to ask

I got 25.25 from ebs today for 5 years was about to move to ptsb but ebs gave me that rate to stay with them so it pays to ask
What's the AER? And this rate is a special not advertised on their website as far as I can see? I agree about asking/haggling.

Hey no its not on there website they said they would give me it as i was going to put into ptsb which is 25 percent gross over 5 years so ebs beat there offer.
To keep my funds with them so i got 25.25 gross over 5 years work the AER is just over 5 percent

Hey they said ill get just over 5 percent a year there paying me by the month into current account its 25.25 gross over 5 years

Fair play to you for getting a non-advertised rate. This is becoming more and more common with deposits in Irish banks.

Were you happy to lock your money away in EUR for 5 years with EBS?

"they said ill get just over 5 percent a year"

Sounds like they were being dishonest.

Yes, they were. All deposit rates should be quoted using AER and nothing else. Gross rates are highly misleading.

I went by the amount i get per month which when i work out comes to 5 percent gross per year so im happy as rates will go down and for the next 5 years ill have a good rate

I will call them monday maybe aer will be 4.61 but the money im getting per month comes to the 5 percent rate over the year i will find out

Can you still "walk in" to the Investec office in Harcourt St. and open an account? I don't seem to see this service available or advertised?

I will call them monday maybe aer will be 4.61 but the money im getting per month comes to the 5 percent rate over the year i will find out

Do you get paid monthly with this account? I thought Investec only pay on maturity date?

As ClubMan says, the rate is not 5%.

You can still walk in but always better to make an appointment, I've done both, I was wondering how mcriot got on when he queried, I have funds maturing shortly and the idea of 5% gross payable monthly to my account over 5 years is pretty enticing, sounds unrealistic tho'...any updates ?

Back