Invest €500 pm for 10 years

Sunshine39

Hi all,
Looking for some thoughts please on the best way to invest €500 per month which I wouldn’t need to access for 10 years. I would say I have a moderate attitude to risk. I’m 41 so would need to access before retirement age. Many thanks.

I've been doing similar for the last year with good results.
I started off with investment podcasts and listen to them on my commute. I also signed up to the motley fool. I like that they're transparent. They show their failures as well as successes.

The important thing for me had been to buy and hold. There's been some turbulence and in previous years I'd have sold when prices got low. This time I haven't and I'm looking at 12% so far (I was looking at 3% a couple of months ago). But then that 12% could shrink again in the next year :)

If it's for retirement, have you considered making larger pension contributions from your income? Get it into the fund tax free and let it grow tax free as well.

After that, if it were me I'd be doing as per qwerty5 and sticking it in the stock market. With fees etc. you may find it cheaper to buy €1500 a quarter, rather than every month. With the size of your fund it would not be advisable to buy individual stocks as you'll struggle to achieve any real diversity, so you'd be better off with the likes of ETFs where you can put say €1500 into the FTSE100 one quarter, €1500 into the S&P500 the next, €1500 into BRIC or whatever takes your fancy.

It's really impossible to offer any meaningful advice without a basic understanding of your current assets and liabilities.

Do you have a pension and, if so, where is that invested?

Do you have a mortgage and, if so, what's the current rate?

Do you have any other assets (eg an investment property) or liabilities (eg a car loan)?

the likes of ETFs where you can put say €1500 into the FTSE100 one quarter, €1500 into the S&P500 the next, €1500 into BRIC or whatever takes your fancy.

Fineness the amount involved an MSCI world index or similar would get Meyer coverage with less transaction fees.

Back