Invesment Advice 200k Semi Retired

RealGoneKid

Hi looking for some ideas. Some background info. Mortgage free on property current market value 500k. No loans, debts or any outstanding monies due anywhere. Semi-Retired with an annual income of roughly 30k and still a few years till pension age but will have pension worth somewhere in region of 70k.

Looking for investment ideas money sitting in Current Account doing nothing. Was thinking of lumping it all into prizebonds but am just unsure about whether this is the correct decision to get a good return off my money. Would be a play it safeish type of guy but am open to fairly safe ideas. Any help much appreciated all advice will be taken on board as need to do something soon as money is doing nothing but making my bank money.

Thanks

Prize Bonds will return less than 0.6%, tax free. Instant access deposits yield less than 1% and even the best term deposits are around 1%. There is no safe way to earn a return on your money.

Isn't it a sad old country when the above reply is near enough true and we're told that everything's on the up?

Have you considered any of the 3, 4, 5 or 10 year National Treasury/Solidarity Government Bonds. They won't make you a fortune but they'll at least match inflation. I am thinking of a 5 year myself. The 10 years may be too much of a commitment as interest rates may rise in the meantime. The good thing about these bonds is you can take out the cash at any time but you lose what you earned to that point.

Have you got sufficient cash to cover emergencies?

Assuming you do, I would invest in a diversified portfolio.

If your aim is to buy one property, I would buy something like iRes instead.

Last edited:
Peer to Peer lending ain't bad either. Linked Finance or Grid Finance. If you invested say 5000 and diversified over a large number of enterprises it can return 10%. Like anything only a part of your portfolio should be invested in these. Relatively easy to follow. However, they are not regulated yet. The above two firms appear the most reputable.

What do you want to do with the money? And when do you want to spend it? When you have an idea of its purpose, you can start figuring out where to put it and what level of investment risk, if any, you need to take.

Deposit rates are very low at present but so is inflation, so at present a deposit account will more or less maintain its real value. If you want a bit more, you need to take an element of investment risk.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back