Invalidity V@s Disabilility

paddyjnr

I recent visited intreo to either do a course or or to do a few hours a week which my invalidity allows.
I worked 24hrs of my my life and was entitle to invalidity pension but it seems I have to get partial illness benefit depending on how severe your the condition is the more more money.
You can even get get cut off if doc deems yo available for work.
Where is Disability a mere phone call should suffice and you keep your disability , you can obtain Disability allowance without having worked a days work in your life.
I really dont understand this concept.
Can someone explain, even the guy in intreo says its a disgrace that people who have worked all their lives have been penilised and plans to write to them.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ity_and_illness/partial_capacity_benefit.html

The Disability Act (Government of Ireland, 2005) defines disability as:
“A substantial restriction in the capacity of the person to carry on a profession, business or occupation in the Irish State or to participate in social or cultural life in the Irish State by reason of an enduring physical, sensory, mental health or intellectual impairment.”

Basically disability is pretty well permanent in nature (hence not needing to keep proving it - to be utterly crass about it, missing legs don't suddenly regenerate - for example.) Disability generally makes it much harder to obtain work in the first place. The allowances are not based on contributions and is means tested. Generally people who have difficulty obtaining work do not have the means to support themselves. More information here

Invalidity is not necessarily permanent. It is a long term illness. Hence the reason why it needs to be proven by assessment and the reason why being deemed fit for work changes your entitlement (if still unemployed you would be considered a jobseeker in that case). The allowances are based on your contributions. More information here

You aren't being "penalised". If you hadn't worked or hadn't enough contributions then you would not be entitled to claim invalidity pension.

Back