Invalid Configuration Information?

BarneyMc

When my PC starts to boot up I get the following message:

"Performing automatic IDE configuration...
Drive 0: Disk Drive
Drive 1: Disk Drive
Drive 2: CD-ROM Device
Drive 3: CD-ROM Device

Floppy diskette seek failure
Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program
Strick the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

I just hit the F1 key and the PC boots up fine, although I have to reset the date and time in Windows (it keeps reverting back to 2006).

This is a pain so does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem?

AFAIK - there's a battery on your motherboard that should keep the time set when you turn off the PC. Might be dead - is it an old PC?

The bios battery on the mother-board may need replacing. It would appear it loses all the set-up / configuration info once you power off.

Last edited:
yes, I thought that might be the case although the PC is only about 3 years old.. I'll power off and have a look. Is it one of those standard flat disc batteries or if not where can they be purchased?

... Is it one of those standard flat disc batteries or if not where can they be purchased?
How long is a piece of string?

With all due respect, you are the one looking at the PC - what make is it, where was it purchased, when was it purchased???

How long is a piece of string?

With all due respect, you are the one looking at the PC - what make is it, where was it purchased, when was it purchased???

you dont really need make /model to replace a battery even if the PC is a well known brand.
Get the battery out of the PC, the code number for the battery is on its back. Then head off to pound shop/argos etc. The price can vary between 1-2 euro to 5-6 euro, depends where you're buying it (jewelers being the most expensive places I guess).

Back